Fans in the stadium

Fans in the stadium

chumba 15 Sep 2020 09:41 am said..

Quotes from the BBC Sport website here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54158891

On Monday, the second pilot fixture in rugby union's Premiership took place as 1,000 spectators attended Gloucester's match with Harlequins.

Meanwhile, reports in the Times on Tuesday claimed attendances could be restricted to between 1,000 and 2,500 from 1 October, depending on the coronavirus infection rate.

Gloucester chief executive Lance Bradley told BBC Radio 4 that level of restriction would be "a disaster" if put in place for the remainder of the season.

"We simply have to get fans back in reasonable numbers as soon as possible to ensure the game survives," said Bradley. "We can't keep going losing money with 1,000 or 2,000 fans.

"In the end, that would be a disaster. There are clubs in a worse position than us but we would find it very difficult.

"We wouldn't be able to make it through the season if we were only allowed crowds of 2,500."
chumba
Hero in the making

Re: Fans in the stadium

chumba 15 Sep 2020 09:45 am said..

In light of this I am now officially worried about the viability of our club. To make matters worse the mask wearing was not taken all that seriously by all in attendance last night. Whatever your personal views on wearing masks, wearing them was part of the T&Cs of attending last night. There were allowances for eating and drinking, but, outside of this there were plenty of masks being worn as chin straps and not covering noses. This is hardly the sort of behaviour that will encourage the Government to loosen the restrictions.

On a brighter note I thought the Club set up, and handled, the whole evening very well.
Last edited by chumba on 15 Sep 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
chumba
Hero in the making

covglaws 15 Sep 2020 10:18 am said..

Martin StQ said on BT that they need 8,000 in to break even. Sadly I can't see that happening for a while yet. Worrying!

I suspect there are a few clubs that would go bust before Gloucester, probably only the 3 or 4 with money bags owners can sustain this long term, would they want to and how much money are they ultimately prepared to pour down the drain?
covglaws
Hall of Famer
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 1786  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

Sheddy Mcshedface 15 Sep 2020 10:37 am said..

Wouldn't this be the point at which CVC need to step in and protect their investment? They have put in £200 million for 27% share so far and if a significant amount of clubs go to the wall then the all of the money they have spent to this point will have been for nowt. Surely they can help firms keep themselves on an even keel until we get bums on seats?
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer
Keyser Sose

The Shuthonger One 15 Sep 2020 10:46 am said..

chumba wrote:In light of this I am now officially worried about the viability of our club. To make matters worse the mask wearing was not taken all that seriously by all in attendance last night. Whatever your personal views on wearing masks, wearing them was part of the T&Cs of attending last night. There were allowances for eating and drinking, but, outside of this there were plenty of masks being worn as chin straps and not covering noses. This is hardly the sort of behaviour that will encourage the Government to loosen the restrictions.

On a brighter note I thought the Club set up, and handled, the whole evening very well.

Chumba I didn’t see much of what you describing as regards face masks in my line of vision. Only problems I saw were people sitting in wrong seats which the stewards kept on top of.
My main problem was my view of the other end of pitch being obscured by the dreaded stand pillars. Let me back in the Shed!
The Shuthonger One
Hero in the making

Sheddy Mcshedface 15 Sep 2020 11:08 am said..

Tbf you'd have been much better off in the Shed last night. The big advertising hoardings would have blocked your view and saved you from seeing the whole game! :lol:
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer
Keyser Sose

TheOtherJonny 15 Sep 2020 11:32 am said..

[quote="chumba"]In light of this I am now officially worried about the viability of our club. To make matters worse the mask wearing was not taken all that seriously by all in attendance last night. Whatever your personal views on wearing masks, wearing them was part of the T&Cs of attending last night. There were allowances for eating and drinking, but, outside of this there were plenty of masks being worn as chin straps and not covering noses. This is hardly the sort of behaviour that will encourage the Government to loosen the restrictions.

I have been considering posting on this but didn't know how it would sit on this forum. There were a couple of young (30s) healthy, robust looking lads just along from me who didn't have masks on at all. My friend had his down after taking a drink and a steward sharply reminded him to put it back on. Now these two young (ish) men may have had ongoing issues that precluded them wearing masks but it didn't appear that way. The stewards treated them as if they were minor local celebrities and I didn't hear any mention of them having to put masks on(other than their own jokey comments and whinging about not being able to smoke/vape). Overall, the COVID precautions were good but that did make me wonder as to why they bothered at all?
TheOtherJonny
Vice-Captain
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Posts: 357  Location: Malvern Wells (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)

lucifer 15 Sep 2020 11:42 am said..

And as for not shouting! It seemed to me the majority were not wearing masks covering their mouth/nose. I was actually wondering if that requirement was only being applied in enclosed areas. From a safety perspective I can't see last night leading on to any relaxations in allowing supporters to attend for some time.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

The Vic 15 Sep 2020 11:48 am said..

The finances really do concern me. I can't see how this nation will be in a place that will allow 8,000 fans in before December. I genuinely think we will be seeing the end of professional rugby
The Vic
Hall of Famer

covglaws 15 Sep 2020 11:51 am said..

Requesting fans not to shout! Good luck with that.

On the TV it seemed that 1,000 were making a lot of noise indeed. Mind, that might have been down to clever positioning of microphones.
covglaws
Hall of Famer
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 1786  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby