Fans in the stadium

Re: Fans in the stadium

Steve M 15 Sep 2020 20:10 pm said..

ROLLO wrote: spring up when I see a vulnerable old lady.


Whatever turns you on ROLLO :lol:
Steve M
Hall of Famer
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Posts: 1594  Location: Longlevens, Gloucester

Re: Fans in the stadium

Crasher 16 Sep 2020 10:18 am said..

I am extremely conservative when it comes to covid and haven't stepped foot inside a shop or pub since March.

But I dont get the rational for restricting attendances in rugby as low as 1,000 especially in the bigger grounds

As an outdoor event it is much lower risk than most other aspects of our day to day lives... I'm no expert, but its outdoors with masks on and only using seated areas that would appear to be extremely low risk.

Most clubs in the prem could host games with near enough "normal" level crowds well within their ground capacity - Wasps, LI, Sale etc.

Then clubs could get a little creative with "busy" games borrowing stadiums from football, especially in London. Worst case we could borrow the Ricoh, Oxford, Cardiff... If this is desperate times, then we need desperate measures?
Crasher
Vice-Captain
Posts: 337

Re: Fans in the stadium

jeppy89 16 Sep 2020 10:37 am said..

Crasher wrote:I am extremely conservative when it comes to covid and haven't stepped foot inside a shop or pub since March.

But I dont get the rational for restricting attendances in rugby as low as 1,000 especially in the bigger grounds

As an outdoor event it is much lower risk than most other aspects of our day to day lives... I'm no expert, but its outdoors with masks on and only using seated areas that would appear to be extremely low risk.

Most clubs in the prem could host games with near enough "normal" level crowds well within their ground capacity - Wasps, LI, Sale etc.

Then clubs could get a little creative with "busy" games borrowing stadiums from football, especially in London. Worst case we could borrow the Ricoh, Oxford, Cardiff... If this is desperate times, then we need desperate measures?


I think the issues are more around the service at the ground (food, toilets, etc), entry and exits rather than how close you are to the nearest other fan when seated etc.
jeppy89
Vice-Captain
Posts: 466

Re: Fans in the stadium

SonofPricey 16 Sep 2020 10:44 am said..

We are now getting to a point, not just in relation to sport but more generally, where the Government and the population are going to have to assess the risks of COVID vs the risks to peoples lives overall. This isn't just about wanting to watch live sport in a stadium; this is about the thousands of people employed across the sports entertainment sector, from players and coaches to stewards, backroom staff and administrative support. The pubs and restaurants and other business that rely on the footfall and custom on match day.

Gloucester Rugby is only a small part of this, but the club like so many are integral to the communities in which they are based.

Yes COVID is potentially dangerous - especially if you have pre-existing conditions or are over 70 years old. But what damage are we doing to the economy and to people's lives? How will a country cope with 8 million people unemployed? What about the illnesses and deaths caused by not be able to access Doctors, hospitals or A&E (see Cheltenham for that one)?

Any death is tragic and I know of a couple of fellow Gloucester supporters who have lost family members in the past 6 months. I don't want to see anyone else suffer in that way, but we are now going to have to consider that if the club can't get fans back in at suitable number - we may not have a Professional game by the end of next year!
SonofPricey
Hero in the making
Posts: 629

Re: Fans in the stadium

Gb83 16 Sep 2020 11:48 am said..

SonofPricey wrote:We are now getting to a point, not just in relation to sport but more generally, where the Government and the population are going to have to assess the risks of COVID vs the risks to peoples lives overall. This isn't just about wanting to watch live sport in a stadium; this is about the thousands of people employed across the sports entertainment sector, from players and coaches to stewards, backroom staff and administrative support. The pubs and restaurants and other business that rely on the footfall and custom on match day.

Gloucester Rugby is only a small part of this, but the club like so many are integral to the communities in which they are based.

Yes COVID is potentially dangerous - especially if you have pre-existing conditions or are over 70 years old. But what damage are we doing to the economy and to people's lives? How will a country cope with 8 million people unemployed? What about the illnesses and deaths caused by not be able to access Doctors, hospitals or A&E (see Cheltenham for that one)?

Any death is tragic and I know of a couple of fellow Gloucester supporters who have lost family members in the past 6 months. I don't want to see anyone else suffer in that way, but we are now going to have to consider that if the club can't get fans back in at suitable number - we may not have a Professional game by the end of next year!


Completely agree and if those in the higher risk category have to take more precautions then this is way we should go, can’t hold back entire populations much longer.
Gb83
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2232

Re: Fans in the stadium

Crasher 16 Sep 2020 12:03 pm said..

jeppy89 wrote:
I think the issues are more around the service at the ground (food, toilets, etc), entry and exits rather than how close you are to the nearest other fan when seated etc.


Nearly all things that are outside though, so less risk than going to a pub, supermarket, office or a shop and the amount of time you are in close proximity to others in those scenario's is very small...

Maybe toilet provisions are the only issue, but that has to be solvable with a massive car park next door...
Crasher
Vice-Captain
Posts: 337

Re: Fans in the stadium

King Prawn Bhuna 16 Sep 2020 12:09 pm said..

Crasher wrote:
Maybe toilet provisions are the only issue, but that has to be solvable with a massive car park next door...



Back to the good old days of cinder behind the grandstand...... :D :D :D
User avatar
King Prawn Bhuna
Moderator
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Posts: 8014  Location: Probably in the bar....

Re: Fans in the stadium

colinboag 16 Sep 2020 13:36 pm said..

chumba, if you're only now 'officially worried', which pile of sand have you had your head in until now? This has been a crisis for a long time now, and a lot of people have been in denial. If you think things are bad in the Premiership, take a good look at the Championship!
colinboag
Hall of Famer
Cherchez la truffe
Posts: 3310

Re: Fans in the stadium

Allez Glaws 16 Sep 2020 14:45 pm said..

Crasher wrote:
jeppy89 wrote:
I think the issues are more around the service at the ground (food, toilets, etc), entry and exits rather than how close you are to the nearest other fan when seated etc.


Nearly all things that are outside though, so less risk than going to a pub, supermarket, office or a shop and the amount of time you are in close proximity to others in those scenario's is very small...

Maybe toilet provisions are the only issue, but that has to be solvable with a massive car park next door...


It's also how people get to and from the stadium. If the car park is full of toilets, then buses, trains will need to fill up...
Allez Glaws
On the board
Posts: 807

Re: Fans in the stadium

Asgard 16 Sep 2020 15:35 pm said..

Gb83 wrote:
SonofPricey wrote:We are now getting to a point, not just in relation to sport but more generally, where the Government and the population are going to have to assess the risks of COVID vs the risks to peoples lives overall. This isn't just about wanting to watch live sport in a stadium; this is about the thousands of people employed across the sports entertainment sector, from players and coaches to stewards, backroom staff and administrative support. The pubs and restaurants and other business that rely on the footfall and custom on match day.

Gloucester Rugby is only a small part of this, but the club like so many are integral to the communities in which they are based.

Yes COVID is potentially dangerous - especially if you have pre-existing conditions or are over 70 years old. But what damage are we doing to the economy and to people's lives? How will a country cope with 8 million people unemployed? What about the illnesses and deaths caused by not be able to access Doctors, hospitals or A&E (see Cheltenham for that one)?

Any death is tragic and I know of a couple of fellow Gloucester supporters who have lost family members in the past 6 months. I don't want to see anyone else suffer in that way, but we are now going to have to consider that if the club can't get fans back in at suitable number - we may not have a Professional game by the end of next year!


Completely agree and if those in the higher risk category have to take more precautions then this is way we should go, can’t hold back entire populations much longer.


To help people make their decision perhaps the Government should rule that NHS support and beds will only be made available to over 70's and those with pre-existing conditions. It would make people think and certainly protect the NHS.
Asgard
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1974
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby