Fans in the stadium

Hall of Famer

Re: Fans in the stadium

17 Sep 2020 17:24 pm:

One of the joys of SW is the irrationality and general weirdness of some posters - cherish it!
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

18 Sep 2020 11:20 am:

1000 fans to be allowed into the Rec for Bath vs Glaws.

Both attended games so far have gone to the away team.

Hope springs eternal?
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Hall of Famer

18 Sep 2020 12:58 pm:

You could be on to something SirHenry - A possible psychological model might be that a handful of thousands in not enough to intimidate the away team but is enough to goad them - and for the home team the lack of noise feels like halfhearted support?
Hall of Famer

18 Sep 2020 13:07 pm:

I was convinced that the sheer amount of uncharacteristic mistakes from our lads on Monday night was due to the pressure of having the fans back. Especially Thorley, you rarely see him drop the ball like that or mess up an easy finish. I imagine there was a lot of emphasis in training and the team talk on getting the win for the fans, which may have pressured the players into trying too hard to force things at times which lead to erratic play and the simple errors.
Hero in the making

22 Sep 2020 08:34 am:

According to BBC Radio 4, it appears that there will be a pause in Live sport test events in October. The chances of any fans going to the Glos - Saints game are now over.
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 09:55 am:

Interesting you say that SoP. I've been wondering for a while now whether these 'trial' games (which to me means they are an experiment) have actually been evaluated in any way and if so by whom? Also what were they testing? The ability of the club to hold a socially distant, safe event? Whether they produced a spike in infections? Whether the crowd would obey the safety regs? I've seen diddly squat on this from any of the events that have so far taken place, including the round ball game. Judging by our game against Quins, the no shouting and wearing a mask rule seemed to be largely ignored and the limited amount of other games I've seen seem similar. But I've not seen any evaluation, anywhere. To me the crux of the matter would be the 'does it spread the infection' question, but apart from the early days of Cheltenham Races and Athletico's visit to Liverpool there's been no hint of that happening in all the 'trial' rugby and football matches +, of course, all the below the National League football games that have been played for the last 3 weeks or so. Our reduction from 4 to 1,000 for the Quins game came from the government as infections started to rise rather than, seemingly, because the trials weren't working. And now a "pause" is announced for October. Presumably this is part of the government's wider package of targeted measures to address the current rise in infections but if so are they aiming at the wrong target with outdoors, socially distanced events generally considered to be comparatively safe? Is there any evidence out there that shows they aren't?
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 10:20 am:

A simple question, in the game at Kingsholm Glaws came out through the tunnel as usual and their opponents had to go out the front door, along the side of the stand and on to the pitch, why :?
Vice-Captain

22 Sep 2020 11:07 am:

lucifer wrote:Interesting you say that SoP. I've been wondering for a while now whether these 'trial' games (which to me means they are an experiment) have actually been evaluated in any way and if so by whom? Also what were they testing?

This is a good question - I think its for the club to assess whether they are able to manage with their facilities and bottle necks etc.... Secondly, I am guessing if a fan subsequently did test positive the club would be contacted by the tracers; the club would then be able to assist with the tracing which would given them a view on transmition risk.

Unfortunately the news coming out at the moment could be fatal for professional rugby in England in its current form. I can see the top tier being disbanded and a series of "mergers" to create a handful of viable clubs in the short term, which protects the international and european rugby... basically what the welsh and scottish have been through already
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 11:14 am:

It’s a government trial which clubs applied for. It’s more about the government understanding whether outdoor events spread the virus and if events can be hosted safely.

Clubs will obviously want to apply to prove it is possible and bring crowds back.
Turns out for the A team

22 Sep 2020 11:29 am:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:A simple question, in the game at Kingsholm Glaws came out through the tunnel as usual and their opponents had to go out the front door, along the side of the stand and on to the pitch, why :?

I did wonder this... completely ridiculous when they're about to go and cuddle each other for 80 minutes :D
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby