Jake Polledri

Jake Polledri

Chewbacca 17 Sep 2020 04:35 am said..

Based on the stats alone, Jake Polledri had an absolutely huge game on Monday.

He is a real gem.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFNWZ4IhdEn ... nkijqoj8vd

Still not sure if he is a better 6 or 8, maybe leaning towards 6, either way, a beast.

I think we could do with another couple of strong ball carriers to help him out a bit though.
Chewbacca
Vice-Captain

Re: Jake Polledri

hairyglaws 17 Sep 2020 07:49 am said..

Ain't that the truth..
However like the insane effort Ross M and almost the same, BTT put in, in that ridiculous home game v Lester couple seasons back; we still lost...mmm...

Shame we can't get a team hardness regularly, rather than a few who are on it, at any given time
Concentration perhaps?
Ability to know when and where to act on the pitch etc? In other words, it ain't always on and take the sensible, though perhaps staid option.
Decision making under pressure has been our Achilles heel for donkeys and IMO until addressed, we will tread water
hairyglaws
On the board

Chris Jones 17 Sep 2020 08:29 am said..

And how on earth did both Pat Lam and Eddie Jones not spot his obvious talent?

I thought they were world beating coaches
Chris Jones
Vice-Captain

Gb83 17 Sep 2020 08:37 am said..

Chris Jones wrote:And how on earth did both Pat Lam and Eddie Jones not spot his obvious talent?

I thought they were world beating coaches

Wasn’t Polledri already at Gloucester before Lam joined Bristol?

Re Jones he did have one of the best 8’s in the world already in his squad and he was building to last years World Cup, which didn’t go too badly.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones 17 Sep 2020 08:52 am said..

Polledri was at Hartbury when Glaws offered him a senior contract but Pat Lam was definitely the coach then at Bristol - and don’t forget that Polledri was born and bred in Bristol.
Chris Jones
Vice-Captain

Gb83 17 Sep 2020 08:58 am said..

Chris Jones wrote:Polledri was at Hartbury when Glaws offered him a senior contract but Pat Lam was definitely the coach then at Bristol - and don’t forget that Polledri was born and bred in Bristol.

Looks like Lam signing for Bristol and Polledri signing for us were both in spring 2017 but Lam would have completed the 2016/17 season in Ireland.

Bristol May have lost out but it wasn’t due to Lam.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

ShedOrDead 17 Sep 2020 09:24 am said..

Chewbacca wrote:Still not sure if he is a better 6 or 8, maybe leaning towards 6, either way, a beast.

It's personal choice and how far you believe the number on the back matters in modern Rugby.

I think he's perfect at 8 as summed up on those stats. As good as he is clearing rucks and getting stuck in these are not his 'stand-out' characteristics; his X-factor is his carrying - a trait traditionally associated with 8 rather than 7 or 6. Playing him at 8 gives him the opportunity to do this from the base of the scrum and frees up the flanks for breakdown-monkeys like Ackermann, Reid, Luds etc.

I was asked by a friend this week the question "If you could have one player from another country playing for England, who would it be?". I could not think of anyone I prefer than Jake, C&W goggles or not. Imagine him at 8 behind Curry/Underhill... my Lord.
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 17 Sep 2020 09:26 am said..

Sorry why is EJ mentioned in this thread? How did he miss out exactly?
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 17 Sep 2020 11:04 am said..

The suggestion is that EJ missed selecting Polledri for England before Italy. England's loss Italy's gain.

However Polledri is with us at the moment, he could stay; go to another Prem club or France at some point in the future.
Lewi7
Posts: 3971  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?

DieTrying 17 Sep 2020 11:13 am said..

Lewi7 wrote:The suggestion is that EJ missed selecting Polledri for England before Italy. England's loss Italy's gain.

However Polledri is with us at the moment, he could stay; go to another Prem club or France at some point in the future.

He first he played for Italy U-20's at the U-20 RWC in Jun14. The Italian U-20 Team is the qualifier for Italy. Lancaster was the England coach at the time, so nothing to do with EJ.
DieTrying
aka John Neary
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby