Jake Polledri

Senior squad member

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 11:41 am:

He was released by the Bristol Academy before Hartpury took him on and the rest is history!
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 13:57 pm:

Exactly DT. Eddie Jones didn’t miss out and I seriously doubt he even appeared on SL radar at that age.
Senior squad member

17 Sep 2020 15:37 pm:

It does beg the question as to why England still have the Saxons registered as their second string. If youngsters can be committed to Italy at an early age, why not to England. I'm thinking of Ross Moriarty, for example. I'm not even sure when the Saxons last played!

17 Sep 2020 15:46 pm:

CWB1 wrote:It does beg the question as to why England still have the Saxons registered as their second string. If youngsters can be committed to Italy at an early age, why not to England. I'm thinking of Ross Moriarty, for example. I'm not even sure when the Saxons last played!

The Saxons haven't played since 2016. EJ doesn't like it, which is a bit daft as it's still a step up from the Euro comps.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 15:58 pm:

Jake wanted to play for Italy...heritage, fair play to him.
Cherchez la truffe
On the board

17 Sep 2020 16:01 pm:

Like LRZ wants to play for Wales and not England.
Panache et Precision
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 16:22 pm:

This debate about Jake's eligibility has been done before on here.

In 2014 during the U20s World Cup an Italy 'A' team took part in an international tournament and at the time World Rugby listed the 'A' team as the qualifying team with regards eligibility. Italian RFU changed their qualifying team for the start of the 2014/15 season, so when did that start ?

But as Colin states, Jake chose Italy for personal reasons, so the eligibility after the U20s WC is a moot point ( :D )
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 16:24 pm:

Shedordead - "It's personal choice and how far you believe the number on the back matters in modern Rugby." - good grief, maybe I am not the only one on here who has moved on in the last 30 years after all!!!!!! :o
Jake is best carrying the ball, a part of the game he is absolutely top quality at. Regardless of the numbers on shirts you want him with plenty of carries per game and therefore the selection of the rest of the backrow needs to reflect this and do the donkey work. Maybe, just maybe, this explains why Ludlow keeps getting picked!!!!! ;) :lol:
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Vice-Captain

17 Sep 2020 16:48 pm:

I stand corrected but playing for Italy under 20s did not preclude him from ever playing for England.

With regards to Bris not pursuing him I’ve founded the following old message on the Bris website allegedly penned by his father....

end of acad time there he played afew a league games and appeared for first team off bench at Northampton i do believe but was released.Whereapon he joined dings . Alan then took him to hartpury where he was offered a choice of three contracts during his second season .Glos Bristol and Harlequins .All three offers were very similar he asked Bristol to match Glos offer at least .Harlequins was a no no .Bristol said that was their offer there was no movement so he rightly joined Glos .He quite bright lad and didnt need anyone to tell him to accept Glos offer the better offer

17 Sep 2020 16:58 pm:

Chris Jones wrote:I stand corrected but playing for Italy under 20s did not preclude him from ever playing for England.

With regards to Bris not pursuing him I’ve founded the following old message on the Bris website allegedly penned by his father....

end of acad time there he played afew a league games and appeared for first team off bench at Northampton i do believe but was released.Whereapon he joined dings . Alan then took him to hartpury where he was offered a choice of three contracts during his second season .Glos Bristol and Harlequins .All three offers were very similar he asked Bristol to match Glos offer at least .Harlequins was a no no .Bristol said that was their offer there was no movement so he rightly joined Glos .He quite bright lad and didnt need anyone to tell him to accept Glos offer the better offer

It did preclude him, as I said above. The Italian U-20 side was their qualifying lock-in.
aka John Neary
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby