Jake Polledri

Vice-Captain
Posts: 231

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 17:16 pm:

1 January 2018 – age grade sides can no longer be nominated as NSNRT.

World Rugby’s latest round of changes to player eligibility included a significant alteration for age grade sides and meant that the 2017 U20 tournaments were the last that captured players for a Union. Going forward teams would need to pitch a nominated ‘A’ side against another nominated ‘A’ side to create capture matches.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2245

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 17:21 pm:

DT, correctly and clearly, stated he played for Italy u20 before the rule change.
Others have also pointed out he wanted to play for Italy regardless so not really sure what point your trying to make.
EJ certainly never had the option to select him
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 5506
Location: Gloucester

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 17:40 pm:

Chris Jones wrote:1 January 2018 – age grade sides can no longer be nominated as NSNRT.

World Rugby’s latest round of changes to player eligibility included a significant alteration for age grade sides and meant that the 2017 U20 tournaments were the last that captured players for a Union. Going forward teams would need to pitch a nominated ‘A’ side against another nominated ‘A’ side to create capture matches.


That's 4 years after he was locked in and it's not retrospective. :roll:
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1789

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 18:25 pm:

Makes no odds who he is or was eligible to play for, he chose Italy for family reasons and good luck to him
Moderator
Posts: 4417
Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 19:05 pm:

On a different eligibility front, I wonder if he could go on the Lions tour?

There have been players who haven’t played for their national team in the past, although almost certainly went on to do so.

Jake is a born and bred Englishman and unless there is a rule that prohibits him as he plays for Italy then I would take him immediately. Perhaps that’s what Gatland was looking into?

He is certainly more British than a few others (Flutey, Te’o) and certainly has the rugby ability!
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2245

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 19:16 pm:

I would say Gatland couldn’t try that. As far as I understand as an Italian international he’s not eligible for selection
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1789

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 20:51 pm:

IIRC non capped players can become a lion is there a rule that says a British isles born player that has played for another non BI country cannot become one ?
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 5506
Location: Gloucester

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 21:09 pm:

robs1 wrote:IIRC non capped players can become a lion is there a rule that says a British isles born player that has played for another non BI country cannot become one ?


That's a Barbarians tradition when they play an International side. However Players have been capped by the Lions before their own Country. Will Greenwood was the last in 1997. Some were never capped by their Country. There are 165 in total inc 2 Gloucester players. JP will never play for the British & Irish Lions, but hopefully will play for the Baa-baas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_u ... on_players
aka John Neary
Moderator
Posts: 4417
Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 21:13 pm:

Did Christian Wade play for the Lions before making his English debut? Not sure on the dates
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 5506
Location: Gloucester

Re: Jake Polledri

17 Sep 2020 21:16 pm:

Beddis wrote:Did Christian Wade play for the Lions before making his English debut? Not sure on the dates


The list above say no.
aka John Neary
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby