European Rugby Return

Hall of Famer

Re: European Rugby Return

19 Sep 2020 18:48 pm:

A few references here along the lines of IRFU funded, moneybags Leinster. Anyone know what their budget is to warrant these comments?
Hall of Famer

19 Sep 2020 19:11 pm:

Does any else consider there is some inconsistency within rules.
A player on the floor who holds on to the balls is penalised straight away but players that join ruck, flop or go off feet are rarely penalised
Hall of Famer

19 Sep 2020 21:29 pm:

lucifer wrote:A few references here along the lines of IRFU funded, moneybags Leinster. Anyone know what their budget is to warrant these comments?

I can't find anything substantive but the general opinion is that the Leinster "budget" is similar to the Premiership however it's not clear whether the central contracted players are included in it.
On the board

19 Sep 2020 21:54 pm:

colinboag wrote:Look at the difference in funding between a Sarries side that is now clearly complying with the cap, and the IRFU-backed moneybags that are Leinster. It's a long time since a result has given me as much pleasure.

But will Sarries be complying with the salary cap when all their loaned out players return?
Hall of Famer

19 Sep 2020 22:09 pm:

lucifer, there isn't a cap, so no-one outside of the province and the IRFU really knows. However, have a look at their squad, and the number of players they use in an uninterrupted season, and then as the Yanks say, 'do the math'. Unless their big names are playing for peanuts out of a sense of loyalty then they are very, very well-funded. I analysed their squad a couple of years ago for something I wrote, and it was quite staggering.
Cherchez la truffe

19 Sep 2020 22:12 pm:

Asgard wrote:
lucifer wrote:A few references here along the lines of IRFU funded, moneybags Leinster. Anyone know what their budget is to warrant these comments?

I can't find anything substantive but the general opinion is that the Leinster "budget" is similar to the Premiership however it's not clear whether the central contracted players are included in it.

Irish players are, in the main, centrally contracted, so this will cause some damage and more than the English clubs. I suspect similar issues in SCO & WAL:

Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) chief executive Philip Browne has revealed net losses for 2020 are expected to exceed €30 million (£27.38m) due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
aka John Neary

19 Sep 2020 22:18 pm:

Philip Browne also told the Times that Irish professional rugby may not exist if the current situation continues into 2021.

The whole game is in a very scary position and some clubs will never recover I fear
Hero in the making

19 Sep 2020 22:52 pm:

steckers wrote:Saracens mere presence in the competition was achieved via cheating. So if they go onto win it (and I consider that likely) it's a huge embarrassment for the game. Simply put, we should all want someone else to lift the trophy.

I gave them as much vitriol as any in the shed when they came to visit, but do we really think getting Itojes image rights wrong etc would have meant they’d have finished 7th at any point?

Cheats in the league fine, but only a level playing field with the Irish and French teams at best!

19 Sep 2020 22:56 pm:

IRFU has a budget that is all. They decide how it gets spent on the centrally contracted players and which provinces get the dosh. Hence Connacht move in and out of favour. It is estimated they spend similar to the Premiership clubs .....but some as always end up favoured and currently the Dublin based outfit are in favour.

There is no salary cap in a Europe.... So to see Leinster unceremoniously dumped is a huge statement.

Hate to say it but we’ll played Sarries....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2020 07:28 am:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Whatever your feelings towards Sarries some of the descriptions of their victory as an upset or win for the underdog feel a little wide of the mark. They are still 3 times champions.

Leinster were 1-4 with bookmakers at kick-off Sheddy.

That's as maybe but I still don't think a game involving 2 of the most successful teams of the last decade involves any underdogs or a win either way constitutes an upset.

Joshua vs Ruiz was an upset. Leicester City winning the league was a victory for the underdog. This was just one very good rugby team beating another very good rugby team.[/quote]

ERM...These 16 players (George Kruis, Alex Lozowski, Ben Spencer, Ben Earl, Jack Singleton, Will Skelton, Juan Figallo, Nick Tompkins, Liam Williams, Rhys Carre, Matt Gallagher, Joe Gray. Titi Lamositele, Nick Isiekwe, Max Malins and the retired Viliami Hakalo) have left Saracens, either permanently or on loan, since March this year so you have to give respect to the side that defeated Leinster in Dublin yesterday.

Koch should have been MoM too - just immense.
The artist formerly known as Porky
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby