Exeter getting it right...again

Vice-Captain
Posts: 376

Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 11:55 am:

Rob Baxter in the "i" newspaper today, said that the average age of their front line 28 players is now 26-27. So they'll be around for a few years with the potential to improve further.
Off the pitch, with the hotel being constructed onsite, the building of a new South Stand behind the posts, and proposals to redevelop the long terraced stand opposite the grandstand (the new one will be terraced with seats above), and add in their sponsorship by the local Otter brewery and the best pasties in the world, and Exeter are a fine model on how to do it right.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2218
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 12:39 pm:

Regarding ground development, I guess they have the advantage over us of being outside the city with a bit of space to build.
Never Stay Down.
Vice-Captain
Posts: 376

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 13:48 pm:

foresterinyorks wrote:Regarding ground development, I guess they have the advantage over us of being outside the city with a bit of space to build.


And that's the one issue I have with Exeter. Far prefer a ground that's physically sited at the heart of a community.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1632
Location: Longlevens, Gloucester

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 14:46 pm:

westglos wrote:
foresterinyorks wrote:Regarding ground development, I guess they have the advantage over us of being outside the city with a bit of space to build.


And that's the one issue I have with Exeter. Far prefer a ground that's physically sited at the heart of a community.


I'd far prefer a club that's solid financially and a team that's winning ...
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Vice-Captain
Posts: 244

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 15:33 pm:

I don’t think the average age of our squad is much different looking at the birthdays listed on the club site?
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2290

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 15:43 pm:

Coveman wrote:I don’t think the average age of our squad is much different looking at the birthdays listed on the club site?


Probably not but we are years behind Exeter and their consistency.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2000

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 16:56 pm:

There are plenty of houses all around Sandy Park so they're still in touch with the local community albeit on relatively new estates. They sold their old ground in St Thomas for houses - there was no way it could be redeveloped as a rugby stadium.
Senior squad member
Posts: 116

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 17:09 pm:

westglos wrote:
foresterinyorks wrote:Regarding ground development, I guess they have the advantage over us of being outside the city with a bit of space to build.


And that's the one issue I have with Exeter. Far prefer a ground that's physically sited at the heart of a community.


It's well served by buses and trains tbf and it's entirely possible to walk to it if you live about a mile and a half away like I do! But Kingsholm's location is superior tbf
Hero in the making
Posts: 595

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 17:39 pm:

Asgard wrote:There are plenty of houses all around Sandy Park so they're still in touch with the local community albeit on relatively new estates. They sold their old ground in St Thomas for houses - there was no way it could be redeveloped as a rugby stadium.


Perhaps that's where we are wrong seeing Kingsholm as untouchable & irreplaceable, unfortunately we have an aging stadium with little potential for growth -- should we look to move?? One problem Glos area is well served with hotels already.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2290

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 17:50 pm:

spanish exile wrote:
Asgard wrote:There are plenty of houses all around Sandy Park so they're still in touch with the local community albeit on relatively new estates. They sold their old ground in St Thomas for houses - there was no way it could be redeveloped as a rugby stadium.


Perhaps that's where we are wrong seeing Kingsholm as untouchable & irreplaceable, unfortunately we have an aging stadium with little potential for growth -- should we look to move?? One problem Glos area is well served with hotels already.


I agree, it’s a bit like a Victorian railway system, it’s always going to be restricted.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby