Exeter getting it right...again

Hall of Famer

Re: Exeter getting it right...again

19 Sep 2020 19:20 pm:

I cant believe a hotel creates much profit and conference centres must be losing money hand over first ATM.
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2020 04:31 am:

robs1 wrote:I cant believe a hotel creates much profit and conference centres must be losing money hand over first ATM.

If that was the case they wouldn’t be building it.
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2020 07:20 am:

Maybe they are contractually committed or Rowe is just thinking long term
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Senior squad member

20 Sep 2020 09:55 am:

spanish exile wrote:
Asgard wrote:There are plenty of houses all around Sandy Park so they're still in touch with the local community albeit on relatively new estates. They sold their old ground in St Thomas for houses - there was no way it could be redeveloped as a rugby stadium.

Perhaps that's where we are wrong seeing Kingsholm as untouchable & irreplaceable, unfortunately, we have an aging stadium with little potential for growth -- should we look to move?? One problem Glos area is well served with hotels already.

Perhaps we should go for a 'niche' in the hotel world? A Rugby hotel similar to the football hotel that some ex-Man U stars set up next to Old Trafford.

Beer before and after home games, live music, events involving ex-Glaws players and other rugby legends, events for televised away games, accommodation offers for the travelling fans when purchasing a ticket. The possibilities are endless!

https://hotelfootball.com
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2020 18:49 pm:

The issues are finding a suitable site where planning permission would be granted and then there's the minor issue of financing it.
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2020 19:19 pm:

Severus wrote:
robs1 wrote:I cant believe a hotel creates much profit and conference centres must be losing money hand over first ATM.

If that was the case they wouldn’t be building it.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, conference centres in the new normal wont be very profitable.
Hotels are pretty cut throat,
Hero in the making

20 Sep 2020 19:47 pm:

Asgard wrote:The issues are finding a suitable site where planning permission would be granted and then there's the minor issue of financing it.

Would you get a hotel on the vacant SLG cosmetics factory site next door to Kingsholm car park?
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2020 21:08 pm:

Lambpie wrote:Would you get a hotel on the vacant SLG cosmetics factory site next door to Kingsholm car park?

Funny you should mention that as I've heard a rumour that Gloucs are buying/trying to buy what I think of as the Arjo site at the moment. The rumour had it linked to training facility though ...
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2020 21:37 pm:

Lambpie wrote:
Asgard wrote:The issues are finding a suitable site where planning permission would be granted and then there's the minor issue of financing it.

Would you get a hotel on the vacant SLG cosmetics factory site next door to Kingsholm car park?

If you could, planning shouldn't be a problem but I can't see how that would help Gloucester. I think the Exeter model is based on land they already own being sold at a market price to a hotel chain. I don't think what is built is that essential as long as whoever develops the land buys it from the site owner - hence a move to a development site. The question of a training ground must surely depend on the planning issues extant. If it's a brown field site the cost of acquisition could be high; housing would be an easy fit and therefore the land value would be high. I imagine the training ground facility would be better based at an existing sports ground facility.
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby