England Training squad

Re: England Training squad

06 Oct 2020 08:55 am:

Ah Flutey and Hape !! There has to be sensible room to improve the qualification criteria without be unfair on players reasonable aspirations. I would have thought being a passport holder/ tax payer and resident are the first steps. I would also question the Gannygate cases . Residency should rise from the current 5 yrs to more like 7 perhaps. The other one is to change the rule that once you have represented a nation at over 18 level you are qualified for them no matter what. If you want to hedge your bets then fine let someone else have your spot at under 19's or B teams.
Hall of Famer

06 Oct 2020 09:37 am:

The Vunipola situation has often been discussed on here, and you are seriously deluded if you think there is any comparison with Ribbans or Ruan. 3 years residency is woefully inadequate, five is better but seven would seem to me to be the minimum.

06 Oct 2020 09:49 am:

I see Eddie might be short of 3 players, unnamed as yet for the Babaa's match.
Hall of Famer

06 Oct 2020 09:55 am:

plod wrote:The Vunipola situation has often been discussed on here, and you are seriously deluded if you think there is any comparison with Ribbans or Ruan. 3 years residency is woefully inadequate, five is better but seven would seem to me to be the minimum.

I believe that 5 years is now the required WR level. To me that seems OK - the issue is those whom have just slipped in using the previous 3 year ruling. That has now ended.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Site Admin

06 Oct 2020 11:08 am:

Could just use one simple rule - do you have a British passport? That makes you British.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Academy prospect

06 Oct 2020 11:19 am:

I think that that would be a step in the right direction, but can see two problems - firstly, it doesn't distinguish between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Secondly, assuming that the benefit of this scheme is that the player would be showing a commitment to England by becoming British, what if they apply for a passport (once qualified) and see it as simply an administrative issue, put it at the back of their drawer, and retain their original nationality?

06 Oct 2020 11:23 am:

If Johnson stays as PM much longer the passport may be split into the 4 countries soon enough though :mrgreen:
Senior squad member

15 Oct 2020 17:44 pm:

Latest squad announced. May, Heinz, Thorley are in. Singleton, Ludlow and Clement are out.
On the board

15 Oct 2020 19:00 pm:

To be honest we all knew Clement was just having the rule run over him it seems that was the same with Ludlow but Singleton must be gutted it appears the Saracens connection doesn't help him anymore
Hero in the making

15 Oct 2020 19:32 pm:

Spencer not in it is crazy.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby