Bristol vs Toulon

Re: Bristol vs Toulon

17 Oct 2020 08:38 am:

One of the few games I’ve watched in which Semi Radradra has actually led and inspired the back line (the other was Kingsholm) last night I could see what the fuss was about....was left thinking Henry Purdey would have had a field day with the way the ball was getting out to the wing.

It a team with a strange blend of local talent supporting some big spending talent and It really is raising the game of the supporting cast...credit to Pat Lam. I’m am left thinking a couple of key injuries in a season and they could be left wanting.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

17 Oct 2020 10:17 am:

If Exeter win today and Briz get defaulted to the Prem Final will the 'Powers' look to have a Super Euro Playoff?
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Vice-Captain

17 Oct 2020 10:23 am:

" It is a team with a strange blend of local talent supporting some big spending talent and it really is raising the game of the supporting cast...credit to Pat Lam"
KPB I agree. How many of Bristol's starting line up would we want in our starting XV over our squad? Not too many I would judge, but a bit like Baxter has done at Exeter over recent years, Lam has squeezed every last drop from his team. Yes it's only a second tier Europe trophy (and I said the same when we won it) but they also achieved a top 4 finish and with an entertaining flair. I don't know how they will fare next season but I'd love our players to similarly start maximising their own qualities, with a bit of Exeter intensity thrown in.
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
Hero in the making

17 Oct 2020 10:45 am:

VV wrote:" It is a team with a strange blend of local talent supporting some big spending talent and it really is raising the game of the supporting cast...credit to Pat Lam"
KPB I agree. How many of Bristol's starting line up would we want in our starting XV over our squad? Not too many I would judge, but a bit like Baxter has done at Exeter over recent years, Lam has squeezed every last drop from his team. Yes it's only a second tier Europe trophy (and I said the same when we won it) but they also achieved a top 4 finish and with an entertaining flair. I don't know how they will fare next season but I'd love our players to similarly start maximising their own qualities, with a bit of Exeter intensity thrown in.

This exactly. Yes Bristol might have money but with Lam in charge he has led and changed the culture. You can have all the money you want but if the culture is wrong it might not work. That's where i want to see us, yes we might not have the money but Skivington gets players playing for the badge and the city. Anyone who won't commit 100% to that and believe in it then they don't continue the journey.
Hall of Famer

17 Oct 2020 11:00 am:

Yes, but Phil, it can’t just be coincidence that the richer clubs tend to do better ( except Bath :lol: ). Unfortunately money talks.
Gloucester seems to be an enigma, for a while our forwards struggled and our backs were sublime now it’s the reverse, quite why that is who knows.
Looking forward to the new season and the optimism that brings.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

17 Oct 2020 11:14 am:

Not many people were complaining about Gloucester's 'culture' last season when we were third and progressing. Its a fine line and difficult to define ...
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Leg-end

17 Oct 2020 13:46 pm:

When Glos won the challenge cup it was decried as the losers' cup; the 'bic biro' or the Parker Pen. Bristol win and they are the champions of Europe, major trophy winners etc. Very strange :D

PS - Bic and Biro are both brands of ballpoint pen, other brands are available!
On the board

19 Oct 2020 10:19 am:

Steve M wrote:Not many people were complaining about Gloucester's 'culture' last season when we were third and progressing. Its a fine line and difficult to define ...

But unfortunately finishing third is a rare one-off for us, and we have regressed back to our usual mid/lower half table position.

Everyone in and out of Bristol knows the Pat Lam plan and they have been meeting virtually all of their milestones under him. I have no idea what the Gloucester 3/5 year plan is (or at least was before March).

19 Oct 2020 12:29 pm:

First season under ND we finished 5th; under JA 3rd - problem is it's built on sand. We've had different operating models; from Head Coach, to DoR with different coaches, to no DoR, and back again to current model of a Head Coach & COO, in Alex B.

Culture starts at the top - we've had too many changes for culture to develop and when it has developed there have changes to personnel which means we start again.

Given the salary reductions; players leaving etc I've been impressed with the resilience the Glos squad have shown. We've won and we've lost, but there has been no lack of effort - that's the start of a good culture that now needs to develop throughout but it also needs to have stability from the top down.
First team regular

19 Oct 2020 13:11 pm:

Thanks for the support!

For Bristol it's a big result as we've been pretty rotten for most of the past 25 years!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby