Champions Cup Final

Hall of Famer

Re: Champions Cup Final

17 Oct 2020 18:29 pm:

Well played Exeter for a great win but God help rugby if their style of play became universal. Of one thing I'm certain; there will never be a compilation of Exeter's greatest tries.
Hall of Famer

17 Oct 2020 18:34 pm:

Asgard wrote:Well played Exeter for a great win but God help rugby if their style of play became universal. Of one thing I'm certain; there will never be a compilation of Exeter's greatest tries.

I would say it is a tried and tested method of rugby that has worked for many years. A strong pack that out muscles other sides.

Over the last 30 years. Toulon dominated france/europe
Saracens dominated england/europe
Leicester dominated england/europe
England won the world cup in 03

How I would love gloucester to play winning rugby
On the board

17 Oct 2020 18:37 pm:

Elements of that from our posse as well Asgard.
General comment was,they play rugby league without the 6 phase limit...but it works and well played Exe.
However, what they certainly are, is v well drilled,disciplined and don't panic/are patient.
We can do most of the 1st,latter 2,nowhere near alas..
Hall of Famer

17 Oct 2020 18:42 pm:

Froggy wrote:Westglos agree! We need to be patient and build our confidence bit by bit. We have seen signs that our forwards are improving. Let's get that right then build on that. Please, please be patient with GS and co, back them rain or shine and let's see where we are in 5 years time.

Also agree.
Let’s not forget that Baxter played for Exeter for 14 years and was an assistant coach for them before becoming Head Coach.
He knows the club and supporters, local and county rugby inside out. That must have helped them.
That is admirable patience and forward planning (?) by Rowe.

Not sure we have ever had that long term view...
Hero in the making

17 Oct 2020 18:47 pm:

I have posted on this ad nauseam . Rugby is a game for players , former players and for those who appreciate the inner workings. Exeter are a highly successful club who play effective rugby. For those who want to watch endless entertainment go and follow something like soccer.
West is best
Senior squad member

17 Oct 2020 19:17 pm:

Congratulations Exeter.
Turns out for the A team

17 Oct 2020 19:27 pm:

I watched the game and enjoyed it. I must applaud Exeter. Their ball retention is something to behold and they are so dangerous in the 22. However, having said that, if there's a list of the best tries ever scored, I very much doubt that an Exeter-style forwards try would be among them. I get it that narly old props love that side to the game but give me an Ollie Thorley or Rees-Zammit try any day of the week. Seeing a winger score a wonder try from thirty/forty yards out, I've said at Kingsholm before today, "I'd give my entrance money just to watch that try". I certainly would never say that about an Exeter-style try. Perhaps we're jealous that Glos can't score in the 22 with the regularity that Exeter do. Just my opinion of course!
Hall of Famer

17 Oct 2020 19:29 pm:

Funny thing, Hereford G - I've done all the playing and watched a great deal of RUGBY over 50 odd years and I think I've picked up a few nuances but as I said I hope the Exeter model is not the future
Vice-Captain

17 Oct 2020 19:50 pm:

Quite embarassed to read some of the comments on this thread. Oh, how I wish Gloucester could play successful, winning rugby. Exeter are a credit to English rugby and the West Country. That was a great final and as is usual on these occasions , was won by the smallest of margins. Instead of sniping at their supposed boring and limited style perhaps we should learn from them and then maybe we might see a bit more silverware in an ever diminishing trophy cabinet
Hall of Famer

17 Oct 2020 19:54 pm:

Herefordpropforward wrote:I have posted on this ad nauseam . Rugby is a game for players , former players and for those who appreciate the inner workings. Exeter are a highly successful club who play effective rugby. For those who want to watch endless entertainment go and follow something like soccer.

Your last sentence shows a certain bias that demonstrates that you have not watched many ‘soccer’ games in years...

Without supporters and media subscribers, then media will decide what they want to spend their money on and support.
That’s it. Nothing else.
The ‘inner workings’ are irrelevant.
Sadly maybe but there you are.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby