Champions Cup Final

Hall of Famer

Re: Champions Cup Final

18 Oct 2020 07:51 am:

I agree Number 10. Clearly from the side. Had hands on the ball whilst he was Racing side in fact. Also a number of players involved before he got hands on so surely a ruck must have been formed.
No doubt NO is a good referee but the part I don’t like is that every game he is ref there seems to be a controversial decision that leads to extended camera time for NO.
Vice-Captain

18 Oct 2020 08:37 am:

Lurker wrote:Totally disagree. I think NO is the best ref around - maybe even better than Barnes. It’s Funny how we all see things differently.

Owens is a very good referee, but for me two things irritate.
Firstly, he too often wants to be the star of the show (I prefer Barnes' more understated approach).
And (he's not the only example) I despair that Owens makes no attempt to speak a few words of rugby relevant French...which again Barnes does.
Hall of Famer

18 Oct 2020 09:16 am:

westglos wrote:
Lurker wrote:Totally disagree. I think NO is the best ref around - maybe even better than Barnes. It’s Funny how we all see things differently.

Owens is a very good referee, but for me two things irritate.
Firstly, he too often wants to be the star of the show (I prefer Barnes' more understated approach).
And (he's not the only example) I despair that Owens makes no attempt to speak a few words of rugby relevant French...which again Barnes does.

For all the rights ands wrongs of JP Doyle, he went to get efforts to learn french. I do think its important for refs to be bilingual
Vice-Captain

18 Oct 2020 10:04 am:

"Firstly, he too often wants to be the star of the show (I prefer Barnes' more understated approach)"

+1
Turns out for the A team

18 Oct 2020 11:33 am:

For all the rights ands wrongs of JP Doyle, he went to get efforts to learn french. I do think its important for refs to be bilingual[/quote]

Always assuming that one or both of the teams he's refereeing speaks English or French!

18 Oct 2020 11:36 am:

Owens speak French?....watched him on The Chase....didn't come over as the brightest bulb in the bunch... :D
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hero in the making

18 Oct 2020 11:50 am:

Regarding the late turnover on the Exeter line, I would suggest reading Nigel Owens comment on Twitter.

I admire Exeter’s ability to win matches but their style of rugby is imho boring. Pragmatism is fine, but we should still hope that flair is still a part of winning rugby going forward
Vice-Captain

18 Oct 2020 11:55 am:

The average age of yesterday's Chief's starting side was just 26.
They'll be around for a while....
First team regular

18 Oct 2020 12:51 pm:

Personally I don't agree that Exeter are a boring side. With Hogg & O'Flaherty they have two players who add a real flair to their game. This was shown to a great extent in the semi final. While we may have players of equivalent stature what Exeter have is forwards who will patiently finish off what the backs have started if they are not able to do so themselves.
Hall of Famer

18 Oct 2020 13:09 pm:

SonofPricey wrote:Regarding the late turnover on the Exeter line, I would suggest reading Nigel Owens comment on Twitter.

I admire Exeter’s ability to win matches but their style of rugby is imho boring. Pragmatism is fine, but we should still hope that flair is still a part of winning rugby going forward

I've looked at what he has said and still think it is wrong. If as he has said they are over the goal line then he shouldnt have given a penalty for holding on as if the ruck is over it is held up over the line therefore a scrum 5. However as I said these differences of opinion/interpretations of the law is what gives the sport talking points and I can see a way he could give 3 or 4 different outcomes.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby