Champions Cup Final

Hero in the making

Re: Champions Cup Final

19 Oct 2020 09:59 am:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:
SonofPricey wrote:Regarding the late turnover on the Exeter line, I would suggest reading Nigel Owens comment on Twitter.

I admire Exeter’s ability to win matches but their style of rugby is imho boring. Pragmatism is fine, but we should still hope that flair is still a part of winning rugby going forward

When did he post this? if before the game then shame he is allowed to have the whistle.....if afterwards then sanctions should be made.

Personally I can find no reference to it...date and time SoP?

KPB there are a number of articles on his responses online. Why should sanctions be made? People questioning why he awarded the penalty to Sam Hidalgo-Clyne at the end, he answered - he then got a load of abuse.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-19124415

Also re the timekeeping, it isn't up to the ref, but clearly the timekeeper made an error. I said to my friend at the time that they hadn't restarted the clock properly. If you watched/listened to the Bristol v Toulon game, there were a number of conversations between the ref and TMO re the clock being wrong towards the end of the game.

19 Oct 2020 11:02 am:

Personally I don't think it's right or proper for an official that will be or has participated in a game offering his/her opinion on the style of play of one of the teams especially if it's negative...it puts him and the game in a poor light. They are supposed to be impartial, as soon as he has an opinion on playing matters surely his impartiality is compromised. Maybe its just me.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

19 Oct 2020 11:13 am:

KPB - Nigel Owens didn't write "I admire Exeter’s ability to win matches but their style of rugby is imho boring. Pragmatism is fine, but we should still hope that flair is still a part of winning rugby going forward". SoP did !!

NO wrote on the Twitter - see previous link - about why he didn't penalise Exeter at the end + the time-clock issue. For me whilst I think NO is still an excellent referee and it was helpful to explain the Laws to ignorant viewers/critics - I do think NO has rather let his "media/LGBT image" over-dominate his current pro-refereeing position. For me you are a pro referee and on the whole keep off the media OR you are a media person and an ex-pro referee. NO needs to follow Wayne Barnes example.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Vice-Captain
Location: Malvern Wells (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)

19 Oct 2020 11:25 am:

Some of the abuse NO is getting on Twitter is unbelievable. Absolutely unneccessary and way OTT. Game for hooligans watched by some hooligans anyone? :roll:
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby