Eng v Ire

Hall of Famer

Re: Eng v Ire

21 Nov 2020 07:10 am:

What do they actually prove though?
Keyser Sose

21 Nov 2020 07:47 am:

The Simmonds’ will be playing Premiership and Heineken Cup rugby this season and showcasing their talents at the highest level....Farrell and Vunipola will be watching on the tv whilst they serve their penance for cheating in collusion with their club.

I know which ones should be playing for England and probably the Lions...
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 09:26 am:

Yawn. :roll: :roll:

For some on SW only a life-time ban OR even firing-squad for anyone associated with Saracens would appear to be adequate.

Get real.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 10:20 am:

Interesting stats but largely irrelevant as not all players playing at same level.

Sam Simmonds is a great player no question about it but he plays behind a dominant pack every week that allows his skill set and pace to come to the fore.

Personally, BV wouldn’t be my selection at the moment but does EJ know more than me? Absolutely.

3 6n titles out of 5 and a World Cup final means by and large he’s got it right. I’m a big believer in coaches should trust players and vice versa so as with Ford EJ is right to stick with it.
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 10:22 am:

You mean BV and OF don’t play behind a dominant pack? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 11:00 am:

Think if you read my post again I said I, personally, wouldn’t select BV at mo. I’d go Dombrant but EJ knows a lot more than me.
As for OF 1st name on the team sheet.
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 14:06 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:The Simmonds’ will be playing Premiership and Heineken Cup rugby this season and showcasing their talents at the highest level....Farrell and Vunipola will be watching on the tv whilst they serve their penance for cheating in collusion with their club.

I know which ones should be playing for England and probably the Lions...

OF & BV were found to be guilty of colluding with Saracens in terms of financial irregularities?

I must have missed that one.
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 16:56 pm:

Weil Jonny and Billy played well !
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 12:09 pm:

With all the hysteria on other threads about Gloucester performance not much said about this game.
I thought England defence was outstanding throughout. Need Watson fit and at 15 ASAP.
Hopefully those tries will re- open the floodgates for JM now.

23 Nov 2020 17:41 pm:

Some fairly naive postings on here about Engs back row. If just putting players who play in winning teams into the team were the simple answer we wouldn't need national coaches

Some extracts from a paper
"We are continually told that selection is about balance. In his first three England starts, Simmonds shared a back row with Chris Robshaw plus either Itoje or Lawes.
In his most international outing, the Exeter Chiefs star was flanked by Robshaw and James Haskell. That day, Ireland overturned England at Twickenham, sealing the 2018 Grand Slam with a 24-15 victory.
Eddie Jones acknowledged that his team had to “adjust” to playing with him. Part of that adjustment, evidently, is complementing Simmonds with at least one heavy-hitter in the back row. Rob Baxter apparently agrees.
Exeter teammate Ewers, who weighs 125kg, has proven to be an effective foil for Simmonds. The imposing Jannes Kirsten, a rangy lineout jumper, joined those two in Chiefs’ starting back row for the Premiership final and again on Friday night.
Simmonds does not shirk hard graft, but those colleagues bend gain-lines and clear rucks so he is free to do what he does best. Conversely, the presence of Vunipola allows England to team up Curry and Underhill.
England’s victory, and its convincing manner, vindicated Jones’ back-row selection. He has enviable options. The cohesion of Vunipola, Curry and Underhill is palpable. Ben Earl came off the bench for an energetic cameo punctuated by a breakdown steal. Jack Willis returned to Wasps and shone in a win over Bristol Bears the following day.
Simmonds is a rounded player in his own right, effective in the tight exchanges as well as in space on both sides of the ball. But a back-row trio consisting of him and two of Curry, Underhill, Earl or Willis looks lightweight for Test rugby union.

cont......
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby