Eng v Ire

Hall of Famer

Re: Eng v Ire

19 Nov 2020 11:35 am:

Wouldn’t it be a good idea to use this Mickey Mouse tournament to try new players and combinations rather than the “Owen Farrell “ approved ones?
To keep players the calibre of the Simmonds brothers out and play others out of position is ridiculous.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 11:36 am:

I didn't think Simmonds (both) are in the wider squad. Plus no doubting GF (normally) knows exactly what he's doing. See Caps and Record.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Vice-Captain

19 Nov 2020 11:38 am:

No problem with Ford in the squad - we could do with someone to get the backline going. However, as per my pre and post match comments last week, why Joseph on the wing. Just not sure what he adds. Put him in the centre instead of Lawrence possibly, but not on the wing. Anyway as usual the very successful and experienced international head coach EJ strangely not listening to me!
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 11:40 am:

madders wrote:Wouldn’t it be a good idea to use this Mickey Mouse tournament to try new players and combinations rather than the “Owen Farrell “ approved ones?.

What ?? Like these ones - Lawrence, Dunn, Stuart, Hill, Earl, Robson and Malins. :roll: :roll:

Plus Lawrence, Stuart, Willis, Dunn, Earl, Robson, Malins and Marchant last Saturday. :roll: :roll:

Get a grip Madders.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

19 Nov 2020 11:58 am:

Yep...it's about get these peripheral players some experience and feeling comfortable around 'the elite' experienced players and keeping a core framework that has the winning mentality. It reminds me very much of the arrogant and boring stance taken by Sir Clive in prep for 2003....that didn't turn out too badly.

EJ's doing a good job...and has done since John Mitchell came in a threw out a few sacred cows in preparation for the world cup. Is Simon Amor still one of his assistants?
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....

19 Nov 2020 12:03 pm:

L RZ starts for Wales.
aka John Neary
Vice-Captain

19 Nov 2020 12:23 pm:

Pretty frustrated with Eddie's treatment of Ollie. I'm not saying he's wrong not to pick him, I wonder whether he has the all-round game at international level, but the former will never know if he doesn't give him some games.
Ollie's been around the squad for a couple of years now, often seems to survive the cut when the squad is initially culled, but then loses out at the last pick when it is too late to send him back to get some minutes on the pitch with us.
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 12:35 pm:

OT is very young and this is all great experience time for him. I (and presumably OT) would much prefer EJ to keep on retaining him rather than he be a one-cap wonder and thrown back to Gloucester. It takes time.......

Simon Amor is the England attack coach I believe.
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 12:56 pm:

He's 24, so not that young anymore. LRZs been capped at 19 !
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 13:04 pm:

Ireland seem to be expanding the naturalised Irishmen in their team. I guess they need to go down this route to remain competitive and I know it's within the rules but I'm not a great fan. I think coming over as a child for family reasons as learning the ropes through the system is one thing, but cherry picking players to plug gaps and using the residency rule is different. I welcome the change in the rules (which I think are changing to 5 years from 3 years from 2021) but can't they be done away with altogether?
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby