Eng v Ire

Hall of Famer

Re: Eng v Ire

19 Nov 2020 20:19 pm:

madders wrote:Don't forget the policewoman basher, Manu Overboard.

He came to this country before he reached his teens. His assault charge is not relevant to this thread. His name is Manu Tuilagi
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Hero in the making

19 Nov 2020 21:46 pm:

Graham Cartmell wrote:

He came to this country before he reached his teens. His assault charge is not relevant to this thread. His name is Manu Tuilagi

Couldn’t have put that better myself.
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 22:04 pm:

I see that madders is taking exception to being called a troll, but that's exactly what he is on a few occasions. Manu T has done a few daft things, but so have a number of Glaws players in the past...how long do we want to keep on niggling away when a player or a club makes a mistake?
Cherchez la truffe
Vice-Captain

20 Nov 2020 11:28 am:

So in the team for Ireland, England have the two Vunipolas born abroad but lived and schooled in England from sometime in their teens and Underhill who was apparently born in Ohio but from what I can gather is English, apart from where he was born.
In the wider squad, Joe Cokanisaga has lived on and off in England since the age of 3 (relying on Wikipedia here), so really only Willi Heinz and David Ribbans came to England as professional rugby players and have qualified under the residency rule.
To my mind that is fairly refreshing although given our large playing base compared to many nations, probably as it should be.

20 Nov 2020 11:43 am:

The Vunipola's went to Wales first, with the Faletaus - they were about 7 when they arrived. Only when Vunipola Snr moved to play for Bristol did the boys move to England. Billy V was born in Brisbane.

Is our Willi qualified through an English Grandmother ?

Alot of the Welsh players not born in Wales were born in England due to their parents work / family situation etc but have Welsh family. Sheedy, who will make his debut for Wales tomorrow played for Eng last season vs the Babarians (non cap match) I believe, but he also qualified for Ireland.

Burns - Freddie for England, Billy for Ireland, yet Brothers.

It's a complicated picture, but moving residential qualification from 3 to 5 years is a good move.
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2020 11:47 am:

Graham Cartmell wrote:

No but he was an illegal immigrant when he came here as he only had a tourist visa and just didn't go back :?
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2020 11:53 am:

You could pay for a private DNA check. There problem is that you would over the years have relatives from every continent.
Mind you the Romans/Italians and Scandinavians would have the opportunity to pick stronger teams
Of course we could soon find out who strayed over Offas Dyke.
Last edited by Ferret on 20 Nov 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20 Nov 2020 11:53 am:

Yes, CGR and when he was selected to play for England his visa situation was sorted.

Ferret - the Eng vs Babaas match, called off due to Covid breaches looks to have cost the RFU circa £1M.
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2020 11:56 am:

Lewi.
That’s not too much of a loss as it was a last minute thing. Given more time could have made more savings.
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2020 11:57 am:

He came to this country on a visa then overstayed. Through some amazing process got asylum, yet frequently visits his homeland.
Proved what an unsavoury character he is by assaulting two female police officers.
And you lot slag off Paddy Jackson.
Double standards.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby