Eng v Ire

Re: Eng v Ire

23 Nov 2020 17:41 pm:

.......Shifting Simmonds to the base of England’s scrum would probably be dependent on Jones dropping both Vunipola and one of Curry and Underhill to add ballast with Lawes, Itoje or Ted Hill.
Realistically, Simmonds is not in direct competition with Billy Vunipola because they are vastly different players. For now, the former is more likely to bump Earl out of the 23 or slip past Willis or Lewis Ludlam into the reckoning. Then Simmonds could benefit from Vunipola’s talents, too."
First team regular

23 Nov 2020 18:11 pm:

madders wrote:He came to this country on a visa then overstayed. Through some amazing process got asylum, yet frequently visits his homeland.
Proved what an unsavoury character he is by assaulting two female police officers.
And you lot slag off Paddy Jackson.
Double standards.

Factually wrong, he gained Leave to Remain.
Hall of Famer

23 Nov 2020 18:22 pm:

Ok, but the rest is spot on.

Sam Simmonds has pace, looks for gaps and scores great tries from his ability as an athlete.
Billy Vunipola doesn’t , but then EJ likes size, muscle and grunt.

I know which l prefer to watch.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

23 Nov 2020 18:37 pm:

Question is which is most effective at international level?
Keyser Sose

23 Nov 2020 18:42 pm:

Quite so. I think the whole issue is balance. You need a balance of people with complimentary skills that fit together to follow a plan. The point being made is that swapping SS with BV doesn't fit and you end up with a less effective backrow and thus forward game. SS may be good but not enought to build a whole team around. You can hardly argue that the current Eng pack isn't being successful.
Hero in the making
Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...

23 Nov 2020 19:08 pm:

The only option for Simmonds at International level is if EJ switches him to flanker IMO.

As the article stated, Baxter plays him alongside two bigger, heavier back row players, allowing him to do what he does. Taking that to England won't work as he's too lightweight unless EJ takes a leaf out of Baxter's book and also picks 2 bigger flankers, allowing for Simmonds to play from the base of the scrum and go roaming freely.

Anyone else think he could do a job at openside, as a back up to Underhill and/or Curry?
Hero in the making
Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...

23 Nov 2020 19:15 pm:

BTW, watching the RTE post match comments over here in Dublin left me dumbfounded.

The panel consisted of Eddie O'Sullivan, Stephen Ferris and Jamie Heaslip. Jamie Heaslip came out with THE quote of the show stating that "England have been unimpressive for the past two years..."

So, 3 Six nations Championships in 5 years, winning a test series in OZ 3-0, and a World Cup Final (dethroning the the All Blacks on the way to the final) culminates in an unimpressive previous two years for Mr. Heaslip...

Jamie, there's a bowl of grapes on my desk - and they're sour! Unbelievable...
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby