What is the style of play?

Hall of Famer

Re: What is the style of play?

21 Nov 2020 17:22 pm:

TP17 wrote:Hard to create much in attack when our back line without May, Thorley and LRZ is essentially a rugby retirement home.

It doesn’t really matter who is in the backs if the forwards are going backwards. Our scrum was under the pump all game and Tigers stopped us before the gainline and slowed our ball down more often than not. It was the same story for most of last season.
On the board

22 Nov 2020 10:24 am:

Spot on Forrester...

Nothing happened at pace past two phases. Once things stagnated nobody took responsibility to come from deep and run straight and hard.

Ackerman is a brute when he does this (for example). Instead, when our receivers got the ball they were generally static, whereas Leicester were rushing up and taking all the momentum into the tackle. We weren’t hitting rucks quickly or hard enough either.

We’ve also got to learn how to be cynical rather than daft with our penalties at ruck time... Count the number of times that Leicester slowed our ball - they were smart (making “every effort” to release the tackled player and get out of the ruck - via Simpson!) ... we were stupid or overly by the book.

Definitely looked undercooked...
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 10:36 am:

Is it time we dispatched the Two Mikes to find out what is going on?
www.fumblings.net

22 Nov 2020 10:38 am:

Oxford Glaws wrote:Is it time we dispatched the Two Mikes to find out what is going on?

I had the same thought halfway through the game....that is the only way we can weather this storm :D
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hero in the making

22 Nov 2020 10:40 am:

I was getting a bit bored with Tigers players making an 'effort' to get out the way. They were an absolute nuisance on the wrong side and I do think the ref was incredibly lenient towards them. I don't think Simpson helped the situation, he has a habit of throwing his hands in the air in frustration which I imagine annoyed the ref. Wigglesworth in comparison was pointing calmly at the ruck which may have appeared more conversation than appealing. Our ref management has been poor for as long as I can remember
On the board

22 Nov 2020 10:43 am:

I suspect the two Mike’s might decline the invitation in this instance! :?
Vice-Captain

22 Nov 2020 10:45 am:

Ben I thought exactly the same about the Leicester players, were lying on the wrong side all the time, ref blamed us for holding in, yet we were pinged constantly for not rolling away, some how we lost the ref.
On the board

22 Nov 2020 10:53 am:

This is an issue for glos - always has been.

See what the ref is allowing the other team to get away with, adapt in game and do the same. It’s the skippers job to highlight any inconsistency in the way things are being reffed after that point.

Glos have not been streetwise, save for the occasional player, for many years.
Vice-Captain

22 Nov 2020 11:41 am:

After more measured reflection the most disappointing aspect for me was the lack of a discernible gameplan. Pre-match GS hinted at tweaks but I failed to see much evidence. No consistent pick and drive from forwards, a haphazard kick n chase game, and static back moves. Lineout coach will feel content but lack of real investment in front row may sadly tell. I suspect we have huge investment in our triumvirate of inernational wingers but I doubt they would have made much difference (and we can only play 2 unless one starts at 15) as they would have been unlikely to see much quick or quality ball. Early doors but I think some young and ambitious talent will need introducing sooner rather than later if performance doesn't pick up quickly.
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
On the board

22 Nov 2020 11:41 am:

Early PSA days bash ‘em up up front Mannix lands a few pens and we win 12-3 (eg) that then changed when he got in some players who could play and score a bit whilst still bashing ‘em in the forwards. He did have styles of play. All in MHO
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby