What is the style of play?

Hall of Famer

Re: What is the style of play?

22 Nov 2020 11:44 am:

VV wrote:After more measured reflection the most disappointing aspect for me was the lack of a discernible gameplan. Pre-match GS hinted at tweaks but I failed to see much evidence. No consistent pick and drive from forwards, a haphazard kick n chase game, and static back moves. Lineout coach will feel content but lack of real investment in front row may sadly tell. I suspect we have huge investment in our triumvirate of inernational wingers but I doubt they would have made much difference (and we can only play 2 unless one starts at 15) as they would have been unlikely to see much quick or quality ball. Early doors but I think some young and ambitious talent will need introducing sooner rather than later if performance doesn't pick up quickly.

The one thing I would say about the wingers missing is, it makes it much easier for the opposition to kick long without worry. If zammit/may/thorley are on the pitch then the threat of us running it back and scoring is much higher so it does change the opposition style slightly
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 13:28 pm:

I can only comment on the first 50 minutes (I fell asleep for the last half hour), but our game-plan looked pretty one dimensional, for the ball-carrier to just try and bash holes. Did anyone else spot the deployment of the dummy runner or the miss-pass or the loop, all of which would have played to Cipriani's strengths?
www.fumblings.net
Vice-Captain

22 Nov 2020 14:20 pm:

If GS wants to change the style of play, why not just go back to basics first?
Sort out the set piece (lineouts and scrums), and get the defence watertight. And be confident you have a 90%+ kicker.
Then you can move forward with your attacking game.
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 15:16 pm:

westglos wrote:If GS wants to change the style of play, why not just go back to basics first?
Sort out the set piece (lineouts and scrums), and get the defence watertight. And be confident you have a 90%+ kicker.
Then you can move forward with your attacking game.

Easier said than do as that is probably what every other team is doing! I thought our lineout was one of very few plus points yesterday (although I'm not sure why we didnt compete more on their ball as we turned over lots when we did). The scrum is an easy way to get an advantage so almost every team focusses on that so it is going to be hard to get an advantage.
Hero in the making

22 Nov 2020 15:26 pm:

What is clear is that we must stick with GS and his coaching team for the long term come hell or high water . We must make sure that he has the chance to build his own squad playing to his game plan and his strategy. This must filter down to the Academy and junior clubs in the footprint. The pick, mix and regular change strategy is doomed to produce mediocrity and confusion. Not rocket science - look at Exeter .
West is best
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 15:33 pm:

Dont get me wrong I get the Exeter thing of longevity of coach but if he is the wrong person then you could be wasting many years (I'm not saying he is the wrong person by the way) lots of people thought Humphries was the right choice but we ended up in the same place after he went
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 16:38 pm:

HPF - I don't disagree at all BUT please expand on what you mean by "This must filter down to the Academy and junior clubs in the footprint" ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hero in the making

22 Nov 2020 18:21 pm:

Well Mute I was chatting recently to a successful secondary school headteacher who was working closely with the FA on football coaching. His thesis was that once a style and way of playing were agreed that should be imprinted way back down the food chain in schools and junior clubs. He expanded that could also happen to a degree in rugby around clubs acting as hubs . I am no coaching expert and my grandchildren’s rugby coaches tell me that the England RFU do provide guidance . I understand similar processes are attempted in the Land of my Fathers. My headteacher friend cited Exeter RFC as an example - their style of play does influence youngsters as they want to play patterns like their role models. Post Covid matters will be different and our management of the game will change for economic reasons . Clubs acting as hubs could foster this style approach more than they currently do. Now I know that all sorts of SW folk have their fingers poised to shoot down this approach or say that’s what we do now. Hope I have answered your query - however imperfectly.
West is best
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 18:31 pm:

Herefordpropforward wrote:Well Mute I was chatting recently to a successful secondary school headteacher who was working closely with the FA on football coaching. His thesis was that once a style and way of playing were agreed that should be imprinted way back down the food chain in schools and junior clubs. He expanded that could also happen to a degree in rugby around clubs acting as hubs . I am no coaching expert and my grandchildren’s rugby coaches tell me that the England RFU do provide guidance . I understand similar processes are attempted in the Land of my Fathers. My headteacher friend cited Exeter RFC as an example - their style of play does influence youngsters as they want to play patterns like their role models. Post Covid matters will be different and our management of the game will change for economic reasons . Clubs acting as hubs could foster this style approach more than they currently do. Now I know that all sorts of SW folk have their fingers poised to shoot down this approach or say that’s what we do now. Hope I have answered your query - however imperfectly.

Sounds feasible. Certainly links to secondary schools coaching would be a good idea.
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 18:49 pm:

Thanks HPF - I thought that's what you might be alluding to and it is an interesting concept.

My cynical comment would be that there are various ways to play rugby and currently I wouldn't be advising anyone to copy GRFC !! ;)

I also think that youngsters should be learning to tackle low around the legs NOT always go for the ball; lineouts vary between the U16 and below v adult rugby; certain things like squeeze-ball aren't allowed and I would never be teaching a school-boy 9 to box-kick like the adults do.

So conceptually having a style/set-moves would be fine BUT I would only apply it from GRFC down to the Academy.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby