What is the style of play?

Vice-Captain

Re: What is the style of play?

22 Nov 2020 18:53 pm:

I'm assuming the reason we stopped competing at the lineout is that when after Garvey's initial good work to stymie their first rolling maul, we looked totally clueless how to stop it again once Tiggers got it moving. ? Think we thought that if we compete and dont win, we're already stuffed trying to stop the rumble; Dont compete and get the counter-drive going before rhey set?

Just not sure it worked!

That's my 10p's worth. Not sure how much insight it offers!! :)
Vice-Captain

22 Nov 2020 19:17 pm:

Sort out the lineouts??????

Get real - the one thing we sorted big time was the lineouts - especially theirs

Shame we box kicked away the fruits of this work
Vice-Captain

22 Nov 2020 19:23 pm:

Chris Jones wrote:Sort out the lineouts??????

Get real - the one thing we sorted big time was the lineouts - especially theirs

Shame we box kicked away the fruits of this work

Is this a reply to my post?
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 19:26 pm:

The lack of any kind of gameplan is a big concern.

The lack of high IQ players on the pitch is also a concern. Have glos ever had more than a couple.

Why oh why is Ludlow captain? And when he goes off it goes to BTT? The only real leader on the pitch for me is Ed Slater.

My biggest concern however is the set piece. If the coaches had done nothing for the last few months except focus on defending the 5m line out - we would be in a better position right now. You simply can't win in the prem if you can't defend it.

Tackling was pathetic. But so was catching. I'm somewhat used to the latter.

One day maybe we will have a kick game. It's been a long time since we had a consistent tactical kicking game.

22 Nov 2020 20:44 pm:

Not sure who is mentoring GS at Kingsholm, but I don’t think it’s healthy and not healthy for the club going forwards. This jury is out until the new year, but not hopeful of a combination that is capable of manufacturing the proverbial silk purse out of a porcine auditory organ.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Vice-Captain

23 Nov 2020 16:22 pm:

Not a reply to you (Creamoftheprop...) - just a response to Westglos saying that we needed to get our lineout sorted!!!
Vice-Captain

23 Nov 2020 18:05 pm:

Chris Jones wrote:Not a reply to you (Creamoftheprop...) - just a response to Westglos saying that we needed to get our lineout sorted!!!

Ahh. No worries. Thanks for clarifying. Thought in the main the lineout went well, just the bit that came directly after .... :roll:
Hero in the making

23 Nov 2020 18:13 pm:

If the players just aren't good enough or capable of sticking to whatever gameplan then all the coaching in the world won't help much.
All we hear is wait until my players are in place which never happens due to length of contracts etc.
On the board

23 Nov 2020 21:21 pm:

We need to start building a proper spine of a team to build a plan around.

That requires:
-A reliable 80%+ goalkicker
-More than one decent ballcarrier on the pitch at once
-Leaders
-A long term vision the squad can get behind

I don't think we have much of any of these right now, and Saturday was a good example of what was left.

23 Nov 2020 21:51 pm:

We've 3 of the fastest wingers in the business and when he returns, a World class metre making No 8. In Varney a speedy passer of the ball. Heinz is a great game manager. Harris makes metres and can break tackles, so can Woodward when he's on form. DC when he fancies it can play brilliantly. Our style, imho should be based on speed and quick offloads, running the opposition ragged. This current kick it away and hope for the best is useless.
aka John Neary
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby