The little things add up to the big things.

Hero in the making

The little things add up to the big things.

21 Nov 2020 19:06 pm:

Really think that this is a mantra the team could do far worse than to follow. For so long I have watched glaws and felt that they just don’t take ‘the little things’ seriously enough and as a result, they equate to bad performances on the whole.

Today for example, a kick off which to some wouldn’t seem too bad but it was not particularly high, straight down the throat and in the middle of the park of a Leicester back row forward who came steaming onto it and made easy ground. One poor kick but gets the Leicester forwards straight into the game, giving them yardage and confidence... fast forward a few phases later... Leicester make good ground and kick on the front foot and rather than let the ball go out of play, DC gets too close and it brushes off him for a Leicester throw. From one poor kick we are now 60/70 yards down the field, under the barrel from the off.

There are countless instances like this in every glaws game I watch... watching exeter, they are not reinventing the wheel there but they just don’t make these kind of silly mistakes. They have had this drummed into them.

I am convinced that a lot of what happens with glaws and has done for the past 10/15 years is the top 2 inches and simply not standing for these kind of silly errors. If we try to cut these silly braindead bits of play out of our game. Instead concentrating on maintaining possession and minimising the ease in which there is for the opponents to gain ground, penalties or tries then we will be far a better team. Easier said, than done, with glaws sadly.
Hall of Famer

Re: The little things add up to the big things.

21 Nov 2020 19:33 pm:

Agreed. All successful teams have a low error count and a mastery of the basics.
Hero in the making

21 Nov 2020 19:59 pm:

The two most successful teams in recent memory began their success by stripping back to absolute basics. Box kick and kick well... chase those kicks well and have a rock solid defence and set piece. Over time they kept things simple and effectively perfected these areas over years, then built from there.

What exeter especially have shown is that you don’t have to be the best players in the world to be able to run hard and committed and work your bleep off to keep hold of that ball. They rarely try shizzle or bust moves it’s a case of wearing teams down. This should be the blue-print. So many players in our squad have shown time and time again that they simply cough up the ball far too easily or just make brain dead decisions. Look at the likes of whitten or dollman and what they have achieved.
On a trial

24 Nov 2020 03:34 am:

Jimbodini wrote:Really think that this is a mantra the team could do far worse than to follow. For so long I have watched glaws and felt that they just don’t take ‘the little things’ seriously enough and as a result, they equate to bad performances on the whole.

Today for example, a kick off which to some wouldn’t seem too bad but it was not particularly high, straight down the throat and in the middle of the park of a Leicester back row forward who came steaming onto it and made easy ground. One poor kick but gets the Leicester forwards straight into the game, giving them yardage and confidence... fast forward a few phases later... Leicester make good ground and kick on the front foot and rather than let the ball go out of play, DC gets too close and it brushes off him for a Leicester throw. From one poor kick we are now 60/70 yards down the field, under the barrel from the off.

There are countless instances like this in every glaws game I watch... watching exeter, they are not reinventing the wheel there but they just don’t make these kind of silly mistakes. They have had this drummed into them.

I am convinced that a lot of what happens with glaws and has done for the past 10/15 years is the top 2 inches and simply not standing for these kind of silly errors. If we try to cut these silly braindead bits of play out of our game. Instead concentrating on maintaining possession and minimising the ease in which there is for the opponents to gain ground, penalties or tries then we will be far a better team. Easier said, than done, with glaws sadly.

100% spot on Jimbodini. Sending players with the ball into opposition tacklers without proper support to clear out the ensuing ruck to avoid a turnover or penalty or even be on the shoulder for an offload is very basic and something we repeatedly do!!
Vice-Captain

24 Nov 2020 07:06 am:

later... Leicester make good ground and kick on the front foot and rather than let the ball go out of play, DC gets too close and it brushes off him for a Leicester throw. From one poor kick we are now 60/70 yards down the field, under the barrel from the off.

I am convinced that a lot of what happens with glaws and has done for the past 10/15 years is the top 2 inches and simply not standing for these kind of silly errors. If we try to cut these silly braindead bits of play out of our game. Instead concentrating on maintaining possession and minimising the ease in which there is for the opponents to gain ground, penalties or tries then we will be far a better team. Easier said, than done, with glaws sadly.[/quote]

100% spot on Jimbodini. Sending players with the ball into opposition tacklers without proper support to clear out the ensuing ruck to avoid a turnover or penalty or even be on the shoulder for an offload is very basic and something we repeatedly do!![/quote]

This is something i am truly bewildered by. We seem to be, but this could be my subjectivity, one of very few teams where the ball passer gives to an isolated player who seems to seek contact rather than space and then the ball passer who by default is the nearest seems to fade off the pass waiting for someone or something to magically recycle the ball. Our ability to resource a breakdown seems to be very limited at times and i genuinely dont understand why we are so bad at it particularly under the new interpretations this season and back end of last.

Return to Gloucester Rugby