There may be trouble ahead...

Academy prospect

There may be trouble ahead...

21 Nov 2020 19:48 pm:

Prior to today’s match, I genuinely believed that we could be in trouble this year.

We have lost some key players. Our forwards have been depleted and replaced by championship players or premiership veterans and our marquee signing has been in a position of strength within a back division that would have already been considered sound.

A “somewhat” proven management team has departed to be replaced by a “promising” yet green head coach who to date has been unable to imprint his own culture on the club.

At times last year we were totally outgunned by the opposition (both home and away) to a level that I have rarely seen. Without the Kingholm crowd to urge the team forward, I’m genuinely concerned.

Today’s match against the team that effectively finished bottom of last seasons premiership has left me worried that I’m right to be that concerned!
Hall of Famer

Re: There may be trouble ahead...

21 Nov 2020 20:01 pm:

Very early days but hard to disagree until all the teams have played at least 2 or 3 League matches following the break
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Senior squad member

21 Nov 2020 20:06 pm:

Carbunkle Juice wrote:Prior to today’s match, I genuinely believed that we could be in trouble this year.

We have lost some key players. Our forwards have been depleted and replaced by championship players or premiership veterans and our marquee signing has been in a position of strength within a back division that would have already been considered sound.

A “somewhat” proven management team has departed to be replaced by a “promising” yet green head coach who to date has been unable to imprint his own culture on the club.

At times last year we were totally outgunned by the opposition (both home and away) to a level that I have rarely seen. Without the Kingholm crowd to u myrge the team forward, I’m genuinely concerned.

Today’s match against the team that effectively finished bottom of last seasons premiership has left me worried that I’m right to be that concerned!

Tough day as Glos supporter! At least Wales won though (and managed a clean slate).

Tomorrow is another day.
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 20:12 pm:

Hard to disagree. The only think I would say is that if gloucester have done anything over the last few years it is defintley lose games they should win on paper and some how pull off some wins that they definitely shouldnt! Knowing us we will probably some how manage a bonus point win next week and we will all think we will be world beaters until the next lose!
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 20:16 pm:

Leicester away without your best players is never going to be an easy first game. Patience needed.

If this was getting humped by LI or Newcastle at home with a full squad I would be genuinely concerned.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Academy prospect

21 Nov 2020 20:18 pm:

I’m really not a negative person (I promise!) and I generally always try to see the positives as far as a GRFC is concerned... but the other thing I failed to mention was my feelings on our new club captain.

Now Lewis is a fantastic squad player and Gloucester are fortunate to have him, however I would question whether he is the best leader on the field within our current squad? What about Ed Slater? Heinz? As I alluded to, we have a Dads Army feel going on now so why not Matt Garvey? If we’ve got a fully fit back row to choose from does Lewis make it?
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 20:27 pm:

One loss does not give a reason for any internal changes.

One loss does give a reason for SW meltdown and calls for heads.

2 completely different things IMHO and currently needs to be completely ignored as noise.

We are where we are but only 1 game in. 21 to go..........
Academy prospect

21 Nov 2020 20:31 pm:

Fingers crossed!!
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 21:11 pm:

My only hope for survival is the suspicion the league will be ringfenced.
Academy prospect

21 Nov 2020 21:55 pm:

I’m not going to lie, I’ve been dead against that possibility for years... but I’m starting to come around to the idea!

In fact it would be somewhat ironic should we finish bottom of a ring fenced league that we were the first team to win the playoff when it didn’t count as winning the league and also the first team to top the league and not be considered league winners following a playoff final defeat.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby