There may be trouble ahead...

Hall of Famer

Re: There may be trouble ahead...

21 Nov 2020 22:42 pm:

Carbunkle Juice wrote:I’m really not a negative person (I promise!) and I generally always try to see the positives as far as a GRFC is concerned... but the other thing I failed to mention was my feelings on our new club captain.

Now Lewis is a fantastic squad player and Gloucester are fortunate to have him, however I would question whether he is the best leader on the field within our current squad? What about Ed Slater? Heinz? As I alluded to, we have a Dads Army feel going on now so why not Matt Garvey? If we’ve got a fully fit back row to choose from does Lewis make it?

My guess is that durability also played a part. Heinz and Slater both potentially captain shouts but both have had fitness issues in the last few seasons.
Keyser Sose

21 Nov 2020 23:12 pm:

I believe the commentators said we broke a record by having a complete back line aged at least 30 and about 1900(?) Prem appearances. The age showed, but not the experience. Our starting 2nd row were 32 & 33. Jamie Gibson is 30. We have too many "old" and getting older players. Yes I get the current crisis but other Clubs seem to have bought younger players, so why not us? we seriously need to lower the average age. I believe Exeters avg is 25.
aka John Neary

21 Nov 2020 23:20 pm:

Yes I picked up on this a week or so ago. The XV today averaged 30 with Ackerman the only under 25 . Sadly those missing are also the same sort of age with just OT/ LRZ our two top youngsters. However it isn't a quick fix for now , so we'll have to manage it.
Hall of Famer

21 Nov 2020 23:29 pm:

Clearly you have forgotten about our financial situation DT. We have to survive on a squad of journeymen and academy player and GS was brought in with that in mind and the intention that he can make the players a team that is better than the sum of its parts.
Now I watched the game late this evening after annoyingly finding out the result. There were too many individual errors but on the whole I was less disappointed with the performance than I expected to be. We looked rustier than Tiggers which surprised me and it looked like a first game of preseason. Let's see where we are 6 or so games in before all the toys come out of the pram.
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Academy prospect

21 Nov 2020 23:38 pm:

Getting gassed on the outside or out muscled through the middle would perhaps be understandable given the make up of our squad but surely individual errors would be something we should be keeping to a minimum with the level of experience we have??

22 Nov 2020 00:18 am:

Still Realistic wrote:Clearly you have forgotten about our financial situation DT. We have to survive on a squad of journeymen and academy player and GS was brought in with that in mind and the intention that he can make the players a team that is better than the sum of its parts.
Now I watched the game late this evening after annoyingly finding out the result. There were too many individual errors but on the whole I was less disappointed with the performance than I expected to be. We looked rustier than Tiggers which surprised me and it looked like a first game of preseason. Let's see where we are 6 or so games in before all the toys come out of the pram.

Nope, I said I get the current crisis, but I also remember Lance B saying we'll be better off than most. Based on the players we've brought in, that cannot be correct. As for rustier than Tiggers? Only Newks had pre-season friendlies. We looked seized up compared to the Team that finished 17 pts behind us and bar the Saracens demotion would have been relegated. I'd also suggest that they started with more Players with less appearances than us. We looked, bar a couple of players, disinterested. My biggest gripe is the inane re-start kicks into opposition 22's. At least restart with a chance for us to compete / put the receiving side off.
aka John Neary
Hero in the making

22 Nov 2020 08:31 am:

Putting onfield challenges to one side, a major concern for the club should be ‘how many of us will renew season tickets next season if yesterday’s performance is what we have to look forward to?’!!

Having forfeited the balance of the 2019/20 season and paid for this season already but unlikely to occupy my seat for the foreseeable, I’m not sure I will commit to starting to pay for next season in January, although I know that further weakens the club’s position. Hard times not getting better.
my real name is Nigel Williams, in my 50s, behind the posts in the Stowford
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 08:44 am:

OK DT, I accept where you are coming from but still say one game is not a significant sample size to damn everyone at the club! Not sure I agree with the "disinterested" comment, I saw frustration by players at the errors the team made but I completely agree about the restarts.
The front 5 were solid enough but we lacked ball carrying from the back row and yes we will miss Jake P in that regard. We needed more from Ruan at #8 although he got through his usual amount of defensive work. As others have said Simpson has his strengths but his passing is not one of them and with only an emergency replacement on the bench we had no way of altering the tempo there.
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Hall of Famer

22 Nov 2020 08:59 am:

Unfortunately this is where we are. GS seems to prefer experience over youth. I’d like to see some youngsters given a chance, but this isn’t likely. Why have an academy if it’s not used? At least the side that lost away to Exeter showed some fight.

I expect more of the same for the foreseeable future.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby