Cips gone

On the board

Re: Cips gone

24 Jan 2021 22:33 pm:

Not1eyed wrote:How would he know he’s the highest paid player? I work in a company with several employees and have no clue what others earn.

I’m sure his agent would have known.
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 00:27 am:

Peter Pan has gone. Move on and let him be the media star he's always aspired to be. Hopefully his wings won't get burnt by The Sun and The Stars of Britain.

A highly talented individual who could never truly be part of a team.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 25 Jan 2021 15:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
On the board

25 Jan 2021 08:46 am:

Spiteful and unnecessary ....
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 09:44 am:

In fairness to GM, I think that’s a fair comment on a senior, well-paid individual who walked out on his contract after showing poor form.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 10:20 am:

madders wrote:In fairness to GM, I think that’s a fair comment on a senior, well-paid individual who walked out on his contract after showing poor form.

The essence of the comment may be reasonable, but the Peter Pan reference was not required ?. GM John often makes some good points on various rugby-related threads; but IMO spoils them with what some might seem as " rather puerile " additions which often detract from the point that he makes.

When they are personal attacks they are "trollesque" at best and rather rude at worse. I can't say they are ever offensive having said that, and usually when directed at myself I actually find them amusing. :) Not wanting to encourage :D ;) him of course and not that he takes a lot of encouraging.....

Back to his point , I do wonder whether Cips will take his Gloucester experience ( along with other ) and actually convert it into a positive one within his life and that somehow he will be able to harness his challenges and still make a positive contribution to the sport. I hope so.

I wouldn't write him off in that sense . I am uncertain that he will enter a career in the media; but who knows ?; should that opportunity avail itself he could be rather good at it.

As for the teamwork aspect; when you are such an individual and talent, that can sometimes be a difficult thing to embrace; but as time goes on, I would also see that part of any future rugby involvement for Cips becoming the central core of his ability to succeed in it whatever role unfolds in his rugby career.

I am sure he is more than bright enough to realise that without this he has no future in the sport; or indeed within the media.
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 10:23 am:

Being a forum where views are expressed there will always be disagreements......it’s probably best to agree to disagree.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 10:48 am:

madders wrote:Being a forum where views are expressed there will always be disagreements......it’s probably best to agree to disagree.

On this I would totally agree madders.

With reference to how disagreement is expressed though, I would hope everyone would agree that there can be polite ways to do so ; even on shedweb. I think GM could be a true ambassador of this style if he wanted to . Maybe he lacks confidence in his own points to stand alone without the constant add-on's ?. I have no idea; but I do think his often very good points and contribution are let-down by his personal taunts and jibes. This is his trademark though ; and probably it will never change. I await his own allegorical response to that and references to Russian literature. ;) :)

Hopefully that apart; back to the thread ?.....
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 12:44 pm:

RTS2 wrote:
madders wrote:In fairness to GM, I think that’s a fair comment on a senior, well-paid individual who walked out on his contract after showing poor form.

The essence of the comment may be reasonable, but the Peter Pan reference was not required ?. GM John often makes some good points on various rugby-related threads; but IMO spoils them with what some might seem as " rather puerile " additions which often detract from the point that he makes.

When they are personal attacks they are "trollesque" at best and rather rude at worse. I can't say they are ever offensive having said that, and usually when directed at myself I actually find them amusing. :) Not wanting to encourage :D ;) him of course and not that he takes a lot of encouraging.....

+1 but there is form with the trolling on Cips pretty certain there was a tongue in cheek "chosen one" and "messiah" from GM. Peter Pan wasn't needed.

Cips is gone and I'll defend him to the tilt, because sometimes it just does not come together especially in times of personal strife and suffering.

Right now if anyone is attacking Cipriani, they're punching down and taking glee from someone struggling. It's not fair and it's not funny. When a man loses a friend and a child he is still going to struggle if he has £3 or £3mil.
Enter something positive here.
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 14:43 pm:

My comments were in no way linked to the other massively personal events in his life but solely re. rugby. I feel very sorry for the totally unintended happenings he has suffered outside rugby.

I would also mention that DC doesn't have to give interviews to the press or post continual updates/pictures of himself and family on social media. He chooses to do so......and by wanting to be in the media spotlight all the time must accept the negative comments it can sometimes bring. If you want to dance with the Devil accept the consequences.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Vice-Captain

25 Jan 2021 15:26 pm:

I agree wholeheartedly with GM that we must “move on”

At the end of the day, one of the other key issues here was the huge financial savings for GR at a time when their finances were under massive pressure. Cips would have been on huge money - along with the other expensive South Africans (players and management)
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby