Falcons OGT

Hall of Famer

Re: Falcons OGT

13 Jan 2021 08:45 am:

Did he mean David Steel, the ex Liberal Party MP and leader, or David Steele the ex Northants., Derbyshire and England cricketer?!

Allen ... yes, I suspect that he meant Mike Brearley to whom I listened via Zoom on Monday - fascinating he was too.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 09:19 am:

Did I say Harry Randall was 5'8" tall (although that's what the Briss website says)? :lol:
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 09:23 am:

Watch Harry Randall is like watching Tom & Jerry. Those back rowers would love to catch him.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 09:27 am:

I think it was me who mentioned his height, I didn't sound quite right but I went with the offy Bris site !
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 09:52 am:

Thank goodness - thought I was losing the plot!
Cherchez la truffe
Hero in the making

13 Jan 2021 09:56 am:

With regard to the captain, I am relatively happy with LL, no captain can stop other players making daft decisions, I think sometimes we overestimate the control a captain has on the pitch.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 10:45 am:

I would totally disagree on both points Nobbler.

I don't think LL has ever been a very good Captain OR is developing to be one. Of course if we give it 2/3 seasons he may eventually develop into one. LL also manages to regularly make daft decisions - though @ 7 he should always be "on the edge".

I also think that the relevance and importance of a Captain is massively underestimated by many. IF you look back at nearly all successful club/Test teams they will all have had motivational Captains whom have led from the front and/or been influential in managing tactics/the referee/implementation of game-plan. Possibly in tandem/league with several other senior players in the squad in key tactical positions within the spine of the team.

Unfortunately currently GRFC are not blessed with same - which probably accounts for the lack of direction, decision-making and rapport with the referee.

I would say a good Captain is worth at least 3/5 points to a side per game.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Vice-Captain

13 Jan 2021 10:54 am:

Agree entirely GM!

I always think of Mike Brearley... average player but brilliant leader
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby