Falcons OGT

Vice-Captain

Re: Falcons OGT

12 Jan 2021 16:56 pm:

Agreed Old Rik. IMO the temptation that 'something has to change' is the wrong route, just repeat learn and get better.

Stick to the plan with minor tweaks.
Vice-Captain

12 Jan 2021 17:01 pm:

I'd be interested to know how much time and focus goes into decision making, working through various scenarios etc.

Yes the heat of the moment will have an impact and no two scenarios are identical but you'd hope and expect there were sessions with the leadership group to discuss decision making in some detail.
Vice-Captain

12 Jan 2021 17:04 pm:

Fair points OT and agree with you.....but with a relatively inexperienced 8,9,10 axis is this also a factor for our struggling game management? Yes training should help to put plans in place but as we all know there is simply no substitute for the real thing.
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 17:45 pm:

Captaincy ?? :roll: :roll:

Should be Heinz/Slater.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Vice-Captain

12 Jan 2021 18:03 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Captaincy ?? :roll: :roll:
Should be Heinz/Slater.

And of those who were available last weekend :roll: :roll: , who would you have picked?
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 20:09 pm:

Original Tetley wrote:One small point that bugged me at the time and was arguably symptomatic of our naivety.

Newks camped on our line in the corner with the clock in the red and a penalty advantage. Why didn't someone just kill the ball on the floor. Yes it's a certain yellow card but odds on Newks would have taken the tricky shot at goal (they'd only scored 2 tries so no bonus point to consider) to try and take our LBP off us. With their kicker that was far from a given.

Instead we're too honest, defend manfully a few phases but concede the inevitable try. LBP gone.

My few pence on this was; if from a penalty five metres out the referee is going to play advantage while the attacking side bash away for two minutes until they inevitably score, then you might as well stand up, let them score and get back to the restart with 1:50 left!
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 20:18 pm:

Spot on.
Advantage should not mean inevitable points.
If you chose not to take penalty so be it. That is risk factor in decision making.
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 20:19 pm:

stevieb wrote:
Original Tetley wrote:One small point that bugged me at the time and was arguably symptomatic of our naivety.

Newks camped on our line in the corner with the clock in the red and a penalty advantage. Why didn't someone just kill the ball on the floor. Yes it's a certain yellow card but odds on Newks would have taken the tricky shot at goal (they'd only scored 2 tries so no bonus point to consider) to try and take our LBP off us. With their kicker that was far from a given.

Instead we're too honest, defend manfully a few phases but concede the inevitable try. LBP gone.

My few pence on this was; if from a penalty five metres out the referee is going to play advantage while the attacking side bash away for two minutes until they inevitably score, then you might as well stand up, let them score and get back to the restart with 1:50 left!

What about the minute for the conversion and other time wasting?
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 20:31 pm:

Nuts wrote:
Gloucester Mute wrote:Captaincy ?? :roll: :roll:
Should be Heinz/Slater.

And of those who were available last weekend :roll: :roll: , who would you have picked?

Anyone with some game-management and decision-making skills...........
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 20:53 pm:

Mute I am sure Ludlow was being genuine and honest with his captaincy this season and as we have been struggling this season that's all we can ask. Rather then question whether he is up to job we should all get just behind him.
Keyser Sose
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby