T'other games

Hero in the making

Re: T'other games

09 Jan 2021 22:35 pm:

Catching up with the Exeter v Bristol game. Only 30 minutes in and the scrum is an absolute shambles! I'm all for a contest up front but I'm wondering if it's too much of a lottery to have penalties as a reward. Seems clear to me that coaches are aiming to win penalties than get the game restarted and I feel the game as a spectacle is suffering for it
On the board

10 Jan 2021 17:47 pm:

Well played NotLundunNotOirich ...

Great performance today v Queens. Thoroughly deserved - could have stolen it in overtime.

Having said that, can we have Marcus Smith, please, sir?
aka Pete Western ... back to basics
Vice-Captain

10 Jan 2021 18:11 pm:

Westy wrote:Well played NotLundunNotOirich ...

Great performance today v Queens. Thoroughly deserved - could have stolen it in overtime.

Having said that, can we have Marcus Smith, please, sir?

Shouldn't it just be NotOirich now?
On the board

10 Jan 2021 18:29 pm:

I stand corrected, westglos ... yes, of course you’re quite right.

Sadly their identity has changed over the past 30 years or so (as has that of many other clubs) ... I remember watching LI v G matches at Sunbury when 75% of their team was from the Emerald Isle (and a similar % of ours was from the Shire).

Sad, really.
aka Pete Western ... back to basics
Senior squad member

10 Jan 2021 18:47 pm:

Yes, I remember those days too. Irish provinces are strong nowadays, so, unless you are resident here...,not much incentive to play for LI. Of course, IRFU financially supports the provinces.
Hall of Famer

10 Jan 2021 19:04 pm:

Or unless you’re such an unsavoury character that your province fires you!
Cherchez la truffe
On the board

10 Jan 2021 19:57 pm:

Westy wrote:I stand corrected, westglos ... yes, of course you’re quite right.

Sadly their identity has changed over the past 30 years or so (as has that of many other clubs) ... I remember watching LI v G matches at Sunbury when 75% of their team was from the Emerald Isle (and a similar % of ours was from the Shire).

Sad, really.

Yes it is really. the first time I went to sunbury the team list was “announced” by a bloke bringing out a blackboard ! Certainly made me chuckle ....
Thought oirish deserved the win today tbh
Senior squad member

10 Jan 2021 20:32 pm:

Sunbury was a wonderful venue. Those of a certain age will remember the legendary Fitz's Bar, which was basically a hut tucked away in one of the corners.

A couple of lovely ladies used to sell Irish Coffee from a stall alongside the main stand. At the back of the top floor of the stand there was a great bar, with good Irish music before and after the game. One time when I was there, I saw the guy who played Dave, the landlord of the Nag's Head, in Only Fools and Horses. I know that plenty of celebs used to go to Sunbury.

After the game went pro, the upstairs bar made way for offices, but there was still an excellent bar on the next floor down. It used to do a roaring trade for A League games. The players and coaches used to have their post-match meals there, so you could always mingle with them.

In the late amateur days, they used to erect big beer tents for the derby games. I remember ordering a couple of pints, offering the money and being told that they couldn't open the tills. Could I come back and pay when they'd solved the problem?

It was a special place.
Vice-Captain

10 Jan 2021 20:39 pm:

Minervois Man wrote:Sunbury was a wonderful venue. Those of a certain age will remember the legendary Fitz's Bar, which was basically a hut tucked away in one of the corners.

A couple of lovely ladies used to sell Irish Coffee from a stall alongside the main stand. At the back of the top floor of the stand there was a great bar, with good Irish music before and after the game. One time when I was there, I saw the guy who played Dave, the landlord of the Nag's Head, in Only Fools and Horses. I know that plenty of celebs used to go to Sunbury.

After the game went pro, the upstairs bar made way for offices, but there was still an excellent bar on the next floor down. It used to do a roaring trade for A League games. The players and coaches used to have their post-match meals, so you could always mingle with them.

In the late amateur days, they used to erect big beer tents for the derby games. I remember ordering a couple of pints, offering the money and being told that they couldn't open the tills. Could I come back and pay when they'd solved the problem?
It was a special place.

Not on topic I know but good to see long time Shedwebbers coming out of retirement to express their views rather than the same old people banging their own drum.
Senior squad member

11 Jan 2021 11:38 am:

My missus was most disappointed that all grounds didn't have an Irish coffee hut after an early visit to Sunbury :D
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby