Wins

Vice-Captain
Posts: 347

Re: Wins

09 Jan 2021 21:10 pm:

We will win the next league match at home to Northampton.
User avatar
On the board
Posts: 785

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 07:58 am:

Listening to the commentary yesterday. It was mentioned that any team missing their axis players (8) Jake/Ben (9) Willi (10) Danny were going to struggle.

GS will have enough on his plate to turn things around and influence the team, but doing it without what would have been your first choices in those positions is an added challenge he wasn't expecting.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2164

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 10:08 am:

LowerO wrote:Like the final 6 or 7 minutes before half time :roll:

It's fine margins. We were on the front foot, penalty advantage, Craig bursts through and only has to reach the line, advantage over called... But he doesn't have the gas, Flood comes in from the side and steals the ball, all out of position and their winger blisters away and scores at the other end.

We're not as bad as the Skivington critics would have you believe. Developing a winning team takes effort and time - and the groundwork is being done.


Their first score was ultimately down to poor individual errors. We were numbered up on the blindside, but Moyle (I think it was), stepped in on the carrier and created the overlap. May, the World class winger he is, should’ve tackled Radwan. That try should have never been scored at this level, with the players we have.

I’ll add that the T/O came from a lack of support to Garvey in the clear out. That’s a repeating theme in many facets of our play; on so many occasions yesterday, we initiated contact (be that in attack or defence) as individuals. We don’t, IMO, play as a collective in open play.

Likewise for their second try; we were short on the blindside, because our pack hadn’t worked hard enough to get around the corner. Garvey was dragged out and it left an enormous hole on the fringe. It was very poor defensive organisation, that shouldn’t happen at this level.

So you say small margins, but it’s both individual and systematic errors that cost us 14 points yesterday and ultimately the game.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3706

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 10:31 am:

Basically it's silly mistakes isn't it Camel. We match teams in most regards but let them off the hook by individual errors. We were well on top for the first 20 yesterday but end up 12-0 down. On the other hand, Newcastle just didn't make mistakes - defensively very well organised, particularly in the red zone.
Vice-Captain
Posts: 369
Location: Was Dursley now Gloucester.

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 10:39 am:

I would agree with that Camel. I can forgive the system errors. Our players are learning the defensive pattern that DW wants to adopt and as the saying goes “no plan survives contact with the enemy” add in player fatigue and it really will take time to build confidence and trust in that department.

Individual errors can be worked on. Molye will get better with game time at this level and I am sure Jonny will bounce back, he wont like being beaten by Radwan but so tough to defend pace and he has it loads of it.

This league is all about fine margins and George is trying to make us harder to beat shorn of first choice 8,9,10. What Newcastle do is execute very well they are well drilled by Richards and in the last 10 squeezed us. We panicked, reverted back to our old self and played the Harum-scarum stuff and fluffed our LBP. We are no-where near playing as a team yet. I think we are getting nearer slowly.
Vice-Captain
Posts: 471

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 11:57 am:

Camel wrote:
Their first score was ultimately down to poor individual errors. We were numbered up on the blindside, but Moyle (I think it was), stepped in on the carrier and created the overlap. May, the World class winger he is, should’ve tackled Radwan. That try should have never been scored at this level, with the players we have.

I’ll add that the T/O came from a lack of support to Garvey in the clear out. .
.


It wasn't Moyle, it was Simpson & Ackerman left to defend after T/O (which was Craig not Garvey), Simpson made his tackle and RA instead of tackling Radwan in the normal way, from the front decided to turn 270° the other way and was left with a tap tackle as his only option. IMO I think RA didn't think JS was going to make his tackle and so slightly stepped in leaving more space for Radwan.
This is, IMO, where defenders need to shout that they will make a tackle so other defenders can stay on other attackers.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2164

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 13:37 pm:

steckers wrote:Basically it's silly mistakes isn't it Camel. We match teams in most regards but let them off the hook by individual errors. We were well on top for the first 20 yesterday but end up 12-0 down. On the other hand, Newcastle just didn't make mistakes - defensively very well organised, particularly in the red zone.


Exactly that. Newcastle were very well organised, worked hard and executed the basics very, very well. They aren’t flash or complicated. It’s the model Saracens built at the beginning of the last decade, then developed from there.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2164

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 13:40 pm:

Old Rik wrote:I would agree with that Camel. I can forgive the system errors. Our players are learning the defensive pattern that DW wants to adopt and as the saying goes “no plan survives contact with the enemy” add in player fatigue and it really will take time to build confidence and trust in that department.

Individual errors can be worked on. Molye will get better with game time at this level and I am sure Jonny will bounce back, he wont like being beaten by Radwan but so tough to defend pace and he has it loads of it.

This league is all about fine margins and George is trying to make us harder to beat shorn of first choice 8,9,10. What Newcastle do is execute very well they are well drilled by Richards and in the last 10 squeezed us. We panicked, reverted back to our old self and played the Harum-scarum stuff and fluffed our LBP. We are no-where near playing as a team yet. I think we are getting nearer slowly.


All fair Old Rik. I do see progression in the pack, particularly at set-piece. It is early days for this coaching group, but my concern is relegation and the detrimental impact that’d have to the club. Right now, I’d settle for an 11th place finish this season.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2164

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 13:42 pm:

Hovis wrote:
Camel wrote:
Their first score was ultimately down to poor individual errors. We were numbered up on the blindside, but Moyle (I think it was), stepped in on the carrier and created the overlap. May, the World class winger he is, should’ve tackled Radwan. That try should have never been scored at this level, with the players we have.

I’ll add that the T/O came from a lack of support to Garvey in the clear out. .
.


It wasn't Moyle, it was Simpson & Ackerman left to defend after T/O (which was Craig not Garvey), Simpson made his tackle and RA instead of tackling Radwan in the normal way, from the front decided to turn 270° the other way and was left with a tap tackle as his only option. IMO I think RA didn't think JS was going to make his tackle and so slightly stepped in leaving more space for Radwan.
This is, IMO, where defenders need to shout that they will make a tackle so other defenders can stay on other attackers.


Yep, thanks Hovis, I think you’re right. I remember seeing Ackermann scrambling to make the tap tackle now.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3706

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 14:23 pm:

I also see progression in the pack. The backs however look to have no organised shape at all. Watching the exe v bristol afterwards and the difference was striking.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby