Wins

Hall of Famer
Posts: 1973

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 14:34 pm:

I feel as though we are expecting miracles from our backs based on us having an awesome back line 4 or 5 years ago. We no longer have the best backline in the country. We have very inexperienced 9 and 10 at the moment and the only experienced internationals are may and harris
Hero in the making
Posts: 648
Location: Malvern

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 14:50 pm:

I would still expect our back line to pass accurately even in the face of aggressive rush defence. Too many passes are slightly behind, too high, too low etc. It kills our front foot ball and leads to windscreen wiper attack. I'm not expecting the slick backs moves from 2 or 3 years ago (yet, Alex King will hopefully give us some structure) however, these guys train every day and I expect a premiership team to pass better than we have been of late
Moderator
Posts: 4651
Location: In the sticks

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 15:57 pm:

I don't buy this . Under JA we had a backline of 57/ Cips/ 36/ Ali- Harris/ Thorley plus 1 . The only one who has changed is DC and losing Marshall. They worked wonderfully then so why not now?
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3786

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 16:07 pm:

Definitely scrum half is a big part of the problem (sorry to sound like a broken record). And I'm not as impressed with Evans as many are. Flashes of brilliance without the basics.
User avatar
Hero in the making
Posts: 727

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 16:15 pm:

Ben Carter wrote:I would still expect our back line to pass accurately even in the face of aggressive rush defence. Too many passes are slightly behind, too high, too low etc. It kills our front foot ball and leads to windscreen wiper attack. I'm not expecting the slick backs moves from 2 or 3 years ago (yet, Alex King will hopefully give us some structure) however, these guys train every day and I expect a premiership team to pass better than we have been of late


As Healy said yesterday if you can’t manage that you are a bricklayer not a professional rugby player.
User avatar
Hero in the making
Posts: 727

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 16:17 pm:

CMGC wrote:I don't buy this . Under JA we had a backline of 57/ Cips/ 36/ Ali- Harris/ Thorley plus 1 . The only one who has changed is DC and losing Marshall. They worked wonderfully then so why not now?


Well it’s DC and Heinz that have changed and I don’t need to say that your half back pairing makes a huge difference.

That backline was mostly pre Harris too right? It was mostly Aki and 12T and one has been injured the other isn’t in great form.

That’s enough of a change.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2389

Re: Wins

10 Jan 2021 18:30 pm:

jeppy89 wrote:As Healy said yesterday if you can’t manage that you are a bricklayer not a professional rugby player.


By this token was Ben Morgan a crap bricklayer?
www.fumblings.net
User avatar
Hero in the making
Posts: 727

Re: Wins

11 Jan 2021 11:34 am:

Oxford Glaws wrote:
jeppy89 wrote:As Healy said yesterday if you can’t manage that you are a bricklayer not a professional rugby player.


By this token was Ben Morgan a crap bricklayer?


Plumber.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2389

Re: Wins

11 Jan 2021 11:37 am:

jeppy89 wrote:Plumber.

Ah.. so this must be why our backrow is in a state of flux at the moment.
www.fumblings.net
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2389

Re: Wins

11 Jan 2021 11:39 am:

Could be a compression injury.
www.fumblings.net
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby