Is Skivington out of his depth

Is Skivington out of his depth?

Yes
31
20%
No
121
80%
 
Total votes : 152

Hero in the making
Posts: 695

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:30 pm:

No it's a ridiculous question. Has no context - we are a club that has been in continual flux for the past 15 years. Skivington inherited a team that had performed brilliantly for one season on the basis of a genius player who then had the wind taken from his sails. It was not a solid platform despite all the previous efforts. What we have seen since his arrival is a resetting of the playing staff - big names have gone and we're building from the ground. There is no cash in the club but we are seeing the basics improve.

Asking "is he out of his depth" is IMHO a rude, ignorant and downright stupid question. So what's your alternative? Bring in Diamond. Are we really seeing a team that is getting worse? NO. This team is just not getting the breaks and the confidence is low. Resetting the club takes time. Patience and support - or we might as well give up and forclose.
my real name is Nigel Williams, in my 50s, behind the posts in the Stowford
Hero in the making
Posts: 593
Location: Kingsholm

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:30 pm:

Never ever build a team, club or culture always ends in tears.
Hero in the making
Posts: 695

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:33 pm:

Big Red wrote:I’m fully aware this would draw criticism, fair enough. Professional sport is about results. We’re not getting them. Questions need asking, whether they’re difficult ones or not. If there is no relegation - write this season off, keep him and try to build. If there is relegation, we need someone in to help him or replace him fairly urgently.


Then why do you post such a inflammatory and bloody awful question? Bet you wouldn't say to his face "George, do you think you're out of your depth?"

You would be much less stupid and perhaps more helpful... "what do you think is lacking here George?". It's fine margins and confidence in the main.
my real name is Nigel Williams, in my 50s, behind the posts in the Stowford
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1532

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:33 pm:

NorthernShedHead wrote:
Steve M wrote:You're asking what people think so ... I think its poor form to post this at all


Ditto to the above and LowerO, sh*t stirring at best
Anyone here coached at a pro-rugby side or can give an opinion based on experience?


No, but UEFA B Coach and former Coach at Chelsea Under 18's? Any good?
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2410

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:35 pm:

LowerO wrote:
Big Red wrote:I’m fully aware this would draw criticism, fair enough. Professional sport is about results. We’re not getting them. Questions need asking, whether they’re difficult ones or not. If there is no relegation - write this season off, keep him and try to build. If there is relegation, we need someone in to help him or replace him fairly urgently.


Then why do you post such a inflammatory and bloody awful question? Bet you wouldn't say to his face "George, do you think you're out of your depth?"

You would be much less stupid and perhaps more helpful... "what do you think is lacking here George?". It's fine margins and confidence in the main.


He hasn’t been a Head Coach before, so I think it would be a perfectly valid question and one he is likely to field if we continue to lose.
Hero in the making
Posts: 678
Location: Newcastle

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:35 pm:

LowerO wrote:No it's a ridiculous question. Has no context - we are a club that has been in continual flux for the past 15 years. Skivington inherited a team that had performed brilliantly for one season on the basis of a genius player who then had the wind taken from his sails. It was not a solid platform despite all the previous efforts. What we have seen since his arrival is a resetting of the playing staff - big names have gone and we're building from the ground. There is no cash in the club but we are seeing the basics improve.

Asking "is he out of his depth" is IMHO a rude, ignorant and downright stupid question. So what's your alternative? Bring in Diamond. Are we really seeing a team that is getting worse? NO. This team is just not getting the breaks and the confidence is low. Resetting the club takes time. Patience and support - or we might as well give up and forclose.


Agree with this, it's tough at the moment but we have to be patient and it could well be more short term pain but we will have a club to follow which is hopefully sustainable.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1368

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:37 pm:

He has made significant improvements in the set piece, the line out is one of the best in the prem and our scrum looks solid. We have been in the running in almost every game we have lost so we are not impossibly far off.

The bloke has been without half his squad all season and I think we are sorely missing some experience. I’m sure it will click but the team needs to keep the confidence or it will spiral.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1083

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:39 pm:

Nobbler23 wrote:Great idea, we definitely need another change in the coaching set up.


Exactly. What on earth would be achieved by another change, given it's the primary reason we have been so inconsistent in the last ten years.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1286

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:39 pm:

tigerchef wrote:
No, but UEFA B Coach and former Coach at Chelsea Under 18's? Any good?


I suppose we're kicking the ball more than we all believe we should....
Senior squad member
Posts: 129

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 16:41 pm:

Great idea to change the coaching set-up. That wouldn’t be disruptive at all, would it?
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby