Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 152

Turns out for the A team

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

09 Jan 2021 17:14 pm:

Dean Richards had the same issues in his relegation season. Boyd also finding it tough to break out of a losing cycle at Northampton. Key injuries in an already inexperienced squad haven’t helped. We aren’t that far off. It’s confidence. Wasps had a run of losses last season but kept going and turned their season around. It’s time to stick together.
First team regular

09 Jan 2021 17:14 pm:

I don’t want to do down the plastic route again, but this kind of dross is exactly what was referring too. Thank god we’ve got a UEFA qualified football coach here too FFS. Like asking a plumber about your electrics :D

I’ve seen nothing to suggest he is out of his depth.
Vice-Captain

09 Jan 2021 17:16 pm:

Awful question, horrible thread
Hall of Famer

09 Jan 2021 17:16 pm:

I think the question needs a third option - the one supposedly provided by Zhou Enlai in the 1970s when asked by Kissinger if he thought the French Revolution had been a success - "It's too soon to tell".
www.fumblings.net
On the board

09 Jan 2021 17:17 pm:

When is it not knee jerk btw?

After 10 games, 15, finishing bottom?

For the record I don’t think it’s down to him.

The majority of Shedweb was in my opinion very naive to the standard of player that was lost.

Then Cips left, some big injuries and international absences so he gets more time for me but questions will be around the corner... unless it is ringfenced.

The set piece has improved massively but the lineout still goes missing when we need it most. Today in their 22 and notably Sale on their 5’m too.
On the board

09 Jan 2021 17:20 pm:

What an ill-thought-out and negative question which adds nothing. I'm out.
If it's wet, drink it.
Hero in the making

09 Jan 2021 17:21 pm:

I would suggest some of our supporters are out their depth, changing again could well lead to terminal decline, I would suggest there are already lots of coaches who would dismiss coming to Gloucester purely on our record of turnover, you can easily become a toxic brand/organisation.
Hall of Famer

09 Jan 2021 17:21 pm:

Why on earth, on a supporters forum, can this not be discussed? Given the run of results and performances, it’s a very fair question to ask too. We’re bottom of the league, with 1 win from 6 games and 3 points from the 11th placed team.

However, I don’t think it’s a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer. There’s a few questions, which need to be answered, before deciding if GS is out of his depth (and some of these we might not know the answer to yet):

- Should the playing squad we have be in a better position in the league?
- What is the gameplan?
- Are all of the players understanding of the system/s GS has put in place?
- Is the team playing as a cohesive unit?
- Has the skill set improved?
- What are the stats now vs. previous years across all facets (defence, attack, points for, points against, lineout, scrum, mall, kicking, gain line, ruck completion, penalty count etc. etc.)
- Has there been improvements from the previous regime?
- Have individual players become or are becoming better players under his and the other coaches guidance?

There’s probably more questions too, but those are the ones which spring to mind.

Personally, I think it’s too early to tell. But there’s no doubt that we’re in deep, deep trouble as it stands this evening.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Hero in the making

09 Jan 2021 17:23 pm:

In my opinion, anything less than 3 years is a knee jerk reaction due to our history, change has failed miserably, continuity is the only thing we haven't tried.

09 Jan 2021 17:32 pm:

Not a healthy question, I agree. But he was always the inexperienced option, with a fresh mind, a good concept and vision.

One week there are elements that please me and the next there are aspects that make you scream.

As long as LB is asking the right questions and the board are happy...I doubt that ‘being in his depth’ is one of his KPIs and so really is immaterial.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby