Is Skivington out of his depth?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 152

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

10 Jan 2021 12:38 pm:

I read many posters saying how our defence has improved and to be fair we now do manage to keep out the attacking lineouts much better and hold out 5m scrums and the following pick and go's . However under RA before Covid in the 2019 season we averaged just on 2 tries conceded per game. Under GS we are nearly double that ,so in short our defence has got worse. This season it is still just about 4 per game. I am not sure any other team concedes more than us. That to me is the biggest problem to sort out.
First team regular

10 Jan 2021 12:44 pm:

I held off voting and posting yesterday for good reason.
I think in 20 years of supporting this team, yesterday I’d never felt so low and was honestly ready to give up, never have I felt that before.
Anyway a day has passed, and even though it’s still hurts, and the last few weeks have, I still believe.
Like a lot have said, we have chopped and changed management so many times, I need to remind myself that this coaching set up is not for the now, it’s for the future. I think we need to be realistic, we won’t be anywhere near the top in my opinion for around 3 years, and I think that’s something we got to live with.
Yes this weekend we did take a step back, now it’s for the lads and George and the coaches to make them step forward again.
The talent is there, at times we look good, but the mistakes need to be cut out, and sometimes that is not coaching that’s the players, they also need to look at themselves.
It will come good, I do believe it, but it won’t be this season.
If relegation is in play we will be fighting against it, let’s hope everyone has got the bottle for it.
Hero in the making

10 Jan 2021 12:52 pm:

Mainer04 wrote:I held off voting and posting yesterday for good reason.
I think in 20 years of supporting this team, yesterday I’d never felt so low and was honestly ready to give up, never have I felt that before.
Anyway a day has passed, and even though it’s still hurts, and the last few weeks have, I still believe.
Like a lot have said, we have chopped and changed management so many times, I need to remind myself that this coaching set up is not for the now, it’s for the future. I think we need to be realistic, we won’t be anywhere near the top in my opinion for around 3 years, and I think that’s something we got to live with.
Yes this weekend we did take a step back, now it’s for the lads and George and the coaches to make them step forward again.
The talent is there, at times we look good, but the mistakes need to be cut out, and sometimes that is not coaching that’s the players, they also need to look at themselves.
It will come good, I do believe it, but it won’t be this season.
If relegation is in play we will be fighting against it, let’s hope everyone has got the bottle for it.

It’s funny how we all have different views. I’m extremely positive at the moment. We have an articulate and visionary young coach who could give us the continuity we’ve craved. We are recruiting well - and not chucking money at ‘superstars’ (which, frankly, got us nowhere). The league position isn’t ideal! However the set piece and rolling maul have improved dramatically and we have a big pack that can go toe-to-toe with the best of them. The bigger picture is really encouraging. I think we could be challenging towards the top sooner than expected.
Hall of Famer

10 Jan 2021 12:55 pm:

CMGC, you're right, up to a point - Bell was a very good defence coach, and had been drilling his style into the guys for a while. Yes we are conceding too many points, but I like the more aggressive, 'in their face', style that Waldouck is developing, and I believe it will pay dividends given time. We're also sixth in terms of points scored, so our attack is maybe a bit better than we think. Work-in-progress
Cherchez la truffe

10 Jan 2021 14:25 pm:

I do partly agree CB. I think part of the problem is that when our attacks break down ( as yesterday) we tend to get caught on the break or unprepared too often. This season has seen a good handfull of " quick turnover tries" when we seem to be all out of kilter/ position. If we were less expansive then this would happen far less.
For me I loved the "attacking pplay" we developed under RA and I hope we can keep that going as it suits our backs and their skills. I wish we had seen more of Trins under RA as he would have loved it. I am worried that Trins doesn't suit the current game plan as for me he was our most skillfull back.
Vice-Captain

10 Jan 2021 19:25 pm:

I know this may sound silly but how much is down to not having a crowd at kingsholm? We have never been able to play consistently away from home but now even at home we arnt good. I remember a few years ago it was said by a few pundits saracens excelled away from home partly due to having no home support so we’re used to playing without great support.
Hall of Famer

10 Jan 2021 19:53 pm:

I loved the way Gloucester played under Ackermann - but funnily enough I thought yesterday was far more cavalier and throwing it around in their own 22. Even Jonny May was back to his old headless chicken days.

Coleser - nothing wrong with some superstars but I know what you mean.
Hall of Famer

10 Jan 2021 20:11 pm:

steckers wrote:I loved the way Gloucester played under Ackermann - but funnily enough I thought yesterday was far more cavalier and throwing it around in their own 22. Even Jonny May was back to his old headless chicken days.

Coleser - nothing wrong with some superstars but I know what you mean.

Steckers - I completely agree.

One of the key moments yesterday was Atkinson throwing a Hail Mary pass deep in our own 22. It went forward and led to a penalty that took them five clear. That’s NOT on Skivington. The buck stops with him, but he can’t make players make good decisions. Evans too tried to dance his way out of trouble in our own 22 and was turned over. We still don’t have the balance quite right.
Last edited by Big Red on 10 Jan 2021 20:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out for the A team

10 Jan 2021 20:19 pm:

The disruption of losing our entire senior coaching team as well as our best players, through moving on or injury, has meant that this season was never going to be a classic for Gloucester. Let's face it, we haven't been good for some time even with our star names, so why some 'supporters' thought a new coaching team would wave a magic wand with the team we have, I'm not sure.

Some people need a dose of reality, and Patience is a quality normally displayed by adults. This season is all about survival and rebuilding whether we like it or not. Survival...not avoiding relegation, actual survival of our great club is by no means a certainty. I am happy to wait and SUPPORT, and have complete faith that things will come good with our new senior team.

Very happy we are still here, and I for one am happy to remain patient.
On the board

10 Jan 2021 20:49 pm:

Tent wrote:The disruption of losing our entire senior coaching team as well as our best players, through moving on or injury, has meant that this season was never going to be a classic for Gloucester. Let's face it, we haven't been good for some time even with our star names, so why some 'supporters' thought a new coaching team would wave a magic wand with the team we have, I'm not sure.

Some people need a dose of reality, and Patience is a quality normally displayed by adults. This season is all about survival and rebuilding whether we like it or not. Survival...not avoiding relegation, actual survival of our great club is by no means a certainty. I am happy to wait and SUPPORT, and have complete faith that things will come good with our new senior team.

Very happy we are still here, and I for one am happy to remain patient.

Agreed!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby