Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 152

Hall of Famer

Re: Is Skivington out of his depth

10 Jan 2021 22:07 pm:

Mainer04 wrote:I held off voting and posting yesterday for good reason.
I think in 20 years of supporting this team, yesterday I’d never felt so low and was honestly ready to give up, never have I felt that t’s hope everyone has got the bottle for it.

You need to get some time in mate? Many, many years of similar and yet I’ve seen us win at Twickenham finals many times.... well 4. We will not be relegated, far too good for that, we were the better side in the last two games, it’ll turn. We were crap under Ackermann, the performances are so much better, the results aren’t so far. Small changes to be made and the results will come. Keep the faith.
Hall of Famer

10 Jan 2021 22:11 pm:

We absolutely can be relegated and under Ackermann we played some of the best rugby seen at Kingsholm for many years.
Keyser Sose

10 Jan 2021 22:24 pm:

I have to agree. You have to go back 10 - 15 yrs to see games that were as much fun to watch from a rugby point of view. It was developing nicely with a few wobbles and then it all started to unravel and change for a host of reasons.
If GS gets back that elan I won't complain.
Hall of Famer

10 Jan 2021 22:33 pm:

CMGC,
A Lotus Elan? What was the registration? ;)
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Vice-Captain

10 Jan 2021 22:37 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:We absolutely can be relegated and under Ackermann we played some of the best rugby seen at Kingsholm for many years.

We did score some great try’s under Ackermann. I always felt that Johann would leave if a better offer came knocking. I then thought Mostert, Kriel, Dryer and his son would probably follow him out the door leaving us right in the doo doo. I felt we were always a stop gap for him

I think I have always wanted us to try and find our own Gatland and Shaun Edwards or Baxter and Hepher, you know Dean Richards and Wells at Leicester types. Coaching teams who stayed in place and created something from the ground up. It’s possible GS and AK might be just that. I hope so.
On the board

10 Jan 2021 23:03 pm:

I don’t think GS is out of his depth but only time will tell. Me thinks that there must be something more fundamental wrong. We cannot surely have got so many bad coaches. Apart from the ray of sunshine under JA we have to go back to Ryan and PSA before him for any real progression in my opinion. I don’t agree with Baz - there maybe has to be a happy medium. We have GS and must hope he will pull it off but one thing is for certain and that is we have to start winning
Vice-Captain

10 Jan 2021 23:04 pm:

We had a great season under JA and then some amazing play and some horrors. Still think the graph is going upward although as all learning is, the graph is never a straight line but a few 'heartbeat'esque blips along the way.

This foundation being put in gives me more long term faith than a flash-bang season again with some epic performances mixed in with some honking efforts.

10 Jan 2021 23:37 pm:

If I remember correctly, the Players had a "say", when given the shortlist, which is a good thing. But did they take the "new" option as a cop out or for a fresh start. I believe the second choice. GS's views on the squad make-up at the Fans Forum was enlightening and it will take time. I imagine Adam Hastings spoke to Chris Harris about us and if CH had had no faith then he wouldn't have joined, neither would've Jack Singleton. We lost Cips unexpectedly but, in context, players are lost for long term injuries every season and the rest of the squad should just get on with it. JP was a massive loss and that I feel is costing us most. We have Internationals aplenty but for some reason our current game-plan doesn't seem to suit them. Ignoring the obvious talent on the wings is, for me, criminal. Our pack is getting better but we need to disrupt opposition breakdowns, so they have to put more players in and defend ours better than we do, as it's akin to a chocolate teapot. Support for breakaway play must be better. Joe Simpson may have been a bit slow, but to be fair, he's been injured. Again, all our 9's need to get to a breakdown and just get the ball out, without doing a meerkat impression 5 million times. Quick ball = open spaces, slow ball = defences can re-align themselves. Hopefully the sports psychologist is in place and I'd actually tap up Steve Diamond to come down and take a look and offer some pointers.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

10 Jan 2021 23:39 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:We absolutely can be relegated and under Ackermann we played some of the best rugby seen at Kingsholm for many years.

You need to get some time in too. The pack was underpowered and often beaten up, we survived on the back play but if your memory of Ackermann is the best you can do, fair enough. Many on here have far better memories of Gloucester than his reign.
Hall of Famer

11 Jan 2021 05:46 am:

Yes, we "survived on backplay" all the way to our best league position I years.

My point was that Gloucester weren't "crap" under Ackermann and if, as you say you need a good memory to remember times when gloucester played as attractive rugby then it kind of proves my point.
Keyser Sose
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby