First Visit to Kingsholm

Vice-Captain

Re: First Visit to Kingsholm

12 Jan 2021 15:29 pm:

Mike Teague's last game vs Quins in 1995. Didn't have a clue who he was as a fresh faced 9 year old! Sat on the floor in front of the main grandstand and was equally excited to see my face in the Western Daily Mail on the photos of Teague being given a guard of honor onto the field.

Went up with a group from Berry Hill RFC and was excited to watch Lee Osbourne playing as he was one of our own and it was the good old days when the likes of Dave Kearsey and Ady Powles went from grassroots rugby to playing for the big teams.
First team regular

12 Jan 2021 15:52 pm:

First game was Western Counties vs Springboks in December 1960 as a 12 year old with my dad. My abiding memory was of a huge South African called Avril Malan, I had never seen anyone so big (probably not too many since either). Was at front of shed by railing so got a good view. First Gloucester match was a bit later vs Coventry, George? Cole(scrum half) and Peter Jackson (wing )were players I remember, probably as my dad knew of them having moved down from Nuneaton before playing for Gloucester united. He played once for Ist team vs Coventry again and got beaten up for old times sake (his story) and subsequently hanging up his boots, literally in the garage.
First team regular

12 Jan 2021 15:55 pm:

September 1968 I think. A midweek game against Bective Rangers. I spent the last of my summer holiday job money on the train fare from Caldicot. We won if I recall but I spent most of the second half worrying about missing the train home.
On the board

12 Jan 2021 17:14 pm:

Great thread - thanks, Richie ...

beachy - George Cole was a hero of mine - scrum half and latterly full back who was deadly with his straight on toe-poke place kicking. In those days, there were no such things as kicking tees, but we made a sort of semi-circular mound in the mud by digging our heel into the ground, on which to place the ball ...

Saw him many times at Coundon Road, and I also had the pleasure of hearing Peter Jackson speak after dinner at a club function.
aka Pete Western ... back to basics
On a trial

12 Jan 2021 21:05 pm:

My first visit to Kingsholm. April 1964 Gloucester against Stroud. I played for Stroud having not long been promoted out of the colts. I've still got the programme. The things that I remember ; being tackled by Ron Pitt whilst catching a high ball under the posts and having a cold water sponge shoved down the back of my neck afterwards ; two old blokes on the tump taking the pee out of me all the time; scoring a try and nobody clapped; Mickey Booth breaking from a scrum but leaving the ball behind for Peter Ford to pick it up and score ; chasing down and tackling Bob Timms who was well clear ( I've got the Citizen photo to prove it); Mike Nicholls being chaired off the pitch because it was his last game; the bath was like a mini swimming pool, very impressive; a little kid asked me for my autograph.
We lost. 19-3
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 21:12 pm:

splim wrote:My first visit to Kingsholm. April 1964 Gloucester against Stroud. I played for Stroud having not long been promoted out of the colts. I've still got the programme. The things that I remember ; being tackled by Ron Pitt whilst catching a high ball under the posts and having a cold water sponge shoved down the back of my neck afterwards ; two old blokes on the tump taking the pee out of me all the time; scoring a try and nobody clapped; Mickey Booth breaking from a scrum but leaving the ball behind for Peter Ford to pick it up and score ; chasing down and tackling Bob Timms who was well clear ( I've got the Citizen photo to prove it); Mike Nicholls being chaired off the pitch because it was his last game; the bath was like a mini swimming pool, very impressive; a little kid asked me for my autograph.
We lost. 19-3

Cant have been mike Nicholls last game he was playing well into the 70's and captained us in the 72 cup run
On a trial

12 Jan 2021 21:46 pm:

Cant have been mike Nicholls last game he was playing well into the 70's and captained us in the 72 cup run

My apologies . You are right. It was in fact Alan Townsend's last game in first class rugby. You didn't spot the other mistake. The score was 21-3.

12 Jan 2021 22:43 pm:

splim wrote:Cant have been mike Nicholls last game he was playing well into the 70's and captained us in the 72 cup run

My apologies . You are right. It was in fact Alan Townsend's last game in first class rugby. You didn't spot the other mistake. The score was 21-3.

Alan and John Beaman ran the first Club Shop which used to be a Brick Hut at the Kingsholm Road End.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

12 Jan 2021 22:48 pm:

Remember it well, DT, bought my first Gloucester (university style!) scarf there.

12 Jan 2021 23:59 pm:

lucifer wrote:Remember it well, DT, bought my first Gloucester (university style!) scarf there.

I worked with John for many years and my early Monday morning walk around the factory site, usually involved a wander to his workplace to go over the games, 1sts & Utd, the previous weekend. Only a quick chat obviously, as I was busy. :D
aka John Neary
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby