First Visit to Kingsholm

Turns out for the A team

Re: First Visit to Kingsholm

13 Jan 2021 08:30 am:

First visit as a 10 year old was playing touch rugby for the Forest of Dean in a tournament at Kingsholm, I'll never forget having a try disallowed for taking '1 step and a jump' after being touched!

Interestingly my father's last ever game was also at Kingsholm playing for Clifton against Glos.

Moving to Wales meant I went to watch Cardiff more so it wasn't until 2002 when Munster visited and what an atmosphere that was!! Cemented my journey into the front row that day I think.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 08:50 am:

First visit to Kingsholm was towards the end of the 1997 season, but I first saw Glaws in my first ever game at Coundon Road: 25 Mar 1972 in the Knockout Cup. I had just started playing at school and my parents got seats in the stand. We ended up with a family season ticket in the 'Cowshed.' No wonder I felt at home at Kingsholm quarter of a century later.
Previously Mark from Stroud
Hero in the making

13 Jan 2021 10:32 am:

I think I've shared this before on here but my first visit was as a rugby mad school boy in Oct 1972 to watch Western Counties v the All Blacks. I do remember seeing Keith Murdoch play and still remember the scandal when he was sent home.

13 Jan 2021 10:59 am:

As an aside, re: Murdoch. Got into a fight with bouncers at the Angel hotel in Cardiff after a Wal vs NZ match and was sent home from tour in disgrace. Apparently, he didn't make it back to NZ, but got off in Brisbane and was never seen again - that's the basics of the story anyway.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 11:03 am:

Lewi7 wrote:As an aside, re: Murdoch. Got into a fight with bouncers at the Angel hotel in Cardiff after a Wal vs NZ match and was sent home from tour in disgrace. Apparently, he didn't make it back to NZ, but got off in Brisbane and was never seen again - that's the basics of the story anyway.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/the- ... ned/626441

13 Jan 2021 11:10 am:

Lewi7 wrote:As an aside, re: Murdoch. Got into a fight with bouncers at the Angel hotel in Cardiff after a Wal vs NZ match and was sent home from tour in disgrace. Apparently, he didn't make it back to NZ, but got off in Brisbane and was never seen again - that's the basics of the story anyway.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/the- ... ned/626441
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

13 Jan 2021 11:22 am:

Don't remember ever not going to Kingsholm, was probably a toddler or even a babe in arms. Went with my Dad or other members of the family. As a family our support goes back to the early days of the club. I remember my Grandad telling me about the Spa, although he wouldn't have been very old when the move to Castle Grim happened. Maybe he was retelling stories from his dad, or possibly his trademark tall stories.

I used to go regularly in the sixties with a school friend, we used to get the number 7 bus from the Calton Road terminus which went to Longford, so passed the ground. My Grandad collected tickets in the Grandstand, so we paid for the ground (6d, I think) and he'd let us sit on the wooden benches in the stand. When the weather was nice, sometimes sat on the grass on the Tump.

Life started getting in the way so visits became more infrequent, not least "temporarily" moving away, doing a job working weekends and evenings didn't help. Really got back into going as the kids didn't require a chauffeur service so much and working more user friendly hours. I'm still temporarily moved away though, 45 years on.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Vice-Captain

13 Jan 2021 12:06 pm:

Born in Deans Way, I'm told that my father took me on the Saturday after my 4th Birthday, 15th March 1947. Guys Hospital were the opposition and the match was played in a snowstorm. I don't remember anything about it. We moved to Worcester Parade and Kingsholm was a constant in our lives. From the age of about 7 we would go into the ground on training nights. Training would consist of a couple of laps of the pitch, a game of touch and then lots of kicks at goal. We would catch the balls and kick them back. Huge fun. On Saturdays we would go to the matches but mainly play on the back of the tump or put the score up onto the scoreboard. Started watching seriously when my cousin Lewis Morgan played in the fifties.
On the board

13 Jan 2021 13:03 pm:

I've noticed there are not a lot of 'Newbies' commenting of this thread. Would be interesting to hear from the guys who are recent additions to the Gloucester fold and the reasons they are in for the ride?
I took all three of my kids to Kingsholm as soon as they were able to walk, to experience the atmosphere and hopefully enjoy rugby as they grew up. The eldest (girl) loved it and was always interested in the games. The second (boy) enjoyed going to meet up with other lads of the same age and maybe not pay as much attention as he should do to the game :roll: . The third (girl) had no idea about anything! :lol: and didn't really appreciate Kingsholm in the depth of winter.
I got us 5 seats in the BuildBase stand a season after it opened and enjoyed several years with the family there.
Moved back to the Tump after that and bizarrely, it was my youngest girl who stuck with it and is still a ST holder at the age of 25.
My lad went on to play for Longlevens juniors from the age of seven till he was 16 then helped Norton set up the club there.
It's back to the BuildBase for us now and looking forward to siting down again :D
Happy days!
Lockdown apathy has taken hold.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 15:14 pm:

A very enjoyable thread. It’s gratifying to read from other posters of the same era as me, and to see the names of players who were my boyhood heroes.
I, too, would clamber over the fence at the end of the game clutching my autograph book. I remember asking Dick Smith for his. “If I can stop f***ing shaking” he said. I even had a bit of his blood on the page!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby