Kyle Sinckler cited

Hall of Famer

Re: Kyle Sinckler cited

13 Jan 2021 13:48 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Is that a two week ban?...not a two match ban. Not much happening in the next couple of weeks...

Ban has to be meaningful ie; can't be taken over a rest-period. KS has been unlucky that the European games have been cancelled/postponed. Will also mean he misses out on one England match-fee. Hope he'll learn his lesson ?? :roll: :roll:

Ditto football. Some of the language soccer refs are subject to amazes me...........
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

13 Jan 2021 13:56 pm:

I recall Dylan Hartley being shown red by Wayne Barnes in a final. It cost his team and it cost him a Lions place. Was that swearing at the ref, questioning his decision, or both ?
On the board

13 Jan 2021 13:59 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:I recall Dylan Hartley being shown red by Wayne Barnes in a final. It cost his team and it cost him a Lions place. Was that swearing at the ref, questioning his decision, or both ?

I believe he was accused of calling Barnes an effing cheat
Vice-Captain

13 Jan 2021 14:01 pm:

From the BBC
"Sinckler, 27, contested the charge of failing to respect the authority of a match official at a hearing on Tuesday.

However, it was ruled he did direct his "aggressive" language towards Karl Dickson in Bristol's win at Exeter"

How can he contest the charge while admitting he said it? Did he perhaps try the equally ridiculous Dylan Hartley defence of I wasn't talking to the Ref? Seems like the logic of a fool. Should have got a longer ban.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:34 pm:

Allow me to explain.

In Football Law 12 stipulates: “A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off,” and lists as one of the seven offenses “using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures.” But cursing at and/or insulting the referee does not automatically merit a red card, and in many instances, the referee will let it go, or at worst, caution (yellow card) the player for dissent.

A referee has to conduct a match according to the Laws of the Game. But they’re laws, not rules, and laws are subject to interpretation. On top of that, the referee has to manage the match, and creative application of the Laws is an effective means of doing that.

Basically "That was...Ref" This will be a talking to or a caution for dissent depending on what is said of course, to who and how loudly. If they start with "You are..." Makes it about the ref and lands them in dissent.

Foul language is not mentioned in the Laws of Association Football.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:47 pm:

He was a silly lad and didnt think what he was doing., a rush of blood.

He should have piled into LCD, get him removed with an HIA and may have only got 3 week like Du Preeze the week before for retribution.

You just shouldn't shout at ref.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 15:05 pm:

Ferret wrote:He was a silly lad and didnt think what he was doing., a rush of blood.

He should have piled into LCD, get him removed with an HIA and may have only got 3 week like Du Preeze the week before for retribution.

What an incredibly daft suggestion............but why am I not surprised ?? :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 15:08 pm:

Too subtle for you obviously.

Trying to highlight the anomalies in punishment.
First team regular

13 Jan 2021 15:46 pm:

You are missing the point. Du Preez got a 6 week ban, as did Slater. The reductions were due to other mitigating factors.

It is exactly the same principle that applies in the criminal justice system. A particular offence has a 'starting point', various circumstances peculiar to that particular occurrence of the offence may be regarded as aggravating or mitigating factors, causing the starting point to move up or down. At that point, any aggravating/mitigating factors concerning the offender (prompt guilty plea, previous good character etc) are taken into account, causing the (possibly already amended) starting point to move further up or down. For example, pleading guilty at the earliest opportunity results in a sentence reduction of one third.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 15:56 pm:

Thanks Chris.
Ii understand totally what you say and recognise and accept validity of the argument.
I suppose I was expressing my thoughts 3 v2 weeks in consecutive weeks -no matter how it was determined.
Of course the officials should not be abused and they need support.
Equally I believe the matter could have been dealt with more appropriately at the time. In fact the opponents would have been the beneficiaries.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby