Before we were Cherry & White.

Vice-Captain

Re: Before we were Cherry & White.

12 Jan 2021 21:01 pm:

Fugazi wrote:Brilliant! Very interesting. Is the first ‘Cherry and White’ shirt the one ‘borrowed’ from Painswick and never returned?

See
https://www.gloucesterrugbyheritage.org ... -and-myths

12 Jan 2021 21:33 pm:

It might be good,if possible to see if the same or similar can be done on the Badges we've had over the years. I bet there's been more changes than most would suspect.
aka John Neary

13 Jan 2021 08:41 am:

Was thinking the same DT, a lot of old pictures the shirts didn't have badges on as opposed to the club badge...shirt badges don't seem to have been a big thing until the modern era.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 09:38 am:

Had a quick look on the Heritage site, the 1985-86 programmes have a cover picture with no badges/crests etc, after that some of the pictures show the city crest, so was the change around about then ?
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 10:24 am:

Fugazi wrote:Brilliant! Very interesting. Is the first ‘Cherry and White’ shirt the one ‘borrowed’ from Painswick and never returned?

The Painswick "saga" was interesting and debunked a long-running and oft-repeated/believed myth - one that PRFC perpetuate by having on their web-site. That said in these parts Painswick were/are The Original Cherry & Whites - and on the basis that GRFC are now Cherry & Red good luck to them. Harry Dyke and The Heritage team cleared that one up good and proper.

A pity as I rather preferred the myth to the truth !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Leg-end

14 Jan 2021 10:46 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:

The Painswick "saga" was interesting and debunked a long-running and oft-repeated/believed myth - one that PRFC perpetuate by having on their web-site. That said in these parts Painswick were/are The Original Cherry & Whites - and on the basis that GRFC are now Cherry & Red good luck to them. Harry Dyke and The Heritage team cleared that one up good and proper.

A pity as I rather preferred the myth to the truth !! ;)

And their excellent detective work debunked someone's assertion that there was an annual letter from Gloucester to Painswick regarding shirts! ;)
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 11:45 am:

Absolutely. One that many others also believed happened.

Clever clogs post-event LoA !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Leg-end

14 Jan 2021 13:14 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Absolutely. One that many others also believed happened.

Clever clogs post-event LoA !! ;)

Not clever clogs at all. I told you when you raised it that I'd never heard of it and none of my Painswick colleagues had either! :D
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 14:00 pm:

I never assume that what you say is always gospel !! ;)

Have you also told them that PRFC never lent GRFC their shirts back in the day BUT it's a myth ?? Please don't because I like the myth more than the truth.............
On the board

14 Jan 2021 16:29 pm:

Wonderful Harry thank you.
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby