Lions 2021

Lions 2021

13 Jan 2021 12:22 pm:

It sounds like moving the whole thing to the UK is the favoured option !! I would have thought that was fraught with risk at the moment. Understandable that they don't want to postpone it but sounds like a " Brave" option.
Hall of Famer

Re: Lions 2021

13 Jan 2021 12:52 pm:

Presumably they are working in the basis that they want crowds to be in attendance and so it's easier to keep the fans at home and come to them rather than get hundreds of people in planes.
Keyser Sose
Vice-Captain

13 Jan 2021 13:36 pm:

I suspect a postponement just isn’t going to happen. National teams won’t want a Lions tour the year before a World Cup, and there is no way that the WC will be pushed back by a year to accommodate.

So its either a case of host the games in the UK & Ireland, or call the whole thing off and go to SA in 2025.
On the board

13 Jan 2021 14:02 pm:

Let's be honest, the UK is not going to be in a state where anywhere near capacity crowds will be possible by June/July this year. So the money argument is not so strong (but obviously will be the deciding factor).

Mixing players from 4 nations and however many clubs for what is ultimately a representative exhibition touring side seems all a bit unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:14 pm:

I thought purpose of Lions was to go on tour as a group for several weeks. Idenitrify yourself to locals and challenge national side.

This will be reversed and appears to be money making exercise through media.

Second rate affair in my eyes
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:41 pm:

Ferret wrote:I thought purpose of Lions was to go on tour as a group for several weeks. Idenitrify yourself to locals and challenge national side.

Its both. But if you can't do the first part you can still try to do the second
Keyser Sose
Hero in the making

13 Jan 2021 14:41 pm:

Ferret, the whole purpose of the Lions Tour is a money making affair, whether it is in the Southern Hemisphere or in the UK. Let’s not kid ourselves.
Vice-Captain
Location: Malvern Wells (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)

13 Jan 2021 14:54 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
Ferret wrote:I thought purpose of Lions was to go on tour as a group for several weeks. Idenitrify yourself to locals and challenge national side.

Its both. But if you can't do the first part you can still try to do the second

A totally inappropriate option as far as I'm concerned. The whole Lion Tour concept (certainly over the last few) is to engage with the local clubs, schools etc. and give encouragement to (mostly) rugby union oriented communities. This would include indigenous and poorer communities.

As a touring supporter, its about where you play and meeting opposition fans as well as (now) the wider experience offered by tour countries. This idea (UK-based) is (whether you like it or not) all about the money. I'm for postponing and reset for 2025 in SA.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:55 pm:

Dont they call them Barbarians when they are at home.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:56 pm:

Ever been on a Lions' tour Ferret ?? Don't think those whom have - I have twice - would ever call it a "second-rate affair" !!

Yes it's a money-spinner - and as I am sure you realise our sport + economies need as much help as they can so are trying to get it to happen in some format.

I also think you need to think of the elite rugby players for whom a Lions selection is the ultimate accolade for a UK rugby player (and a good earner).

For me IF a Lions "Tour" in SA or UK could be arranged to happen in July/August '21 rather than never at all - absolutely great for players/fans/Unions/TV viewers and all lovers of elite rugby/sport.

I would otherwise categorise you as a miserable sod/kill-joy and put it down to Lockdown 3 and/or ignorance.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby