Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points and

Hero in the making
Posts: 522

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

22 Jan 2021 16:10 pm:

Good to get some detail on the decision making process. I thought this was a good statement.
Hero in the making
Posts: 666

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

22 Jan 2021 19:33 pm:

The rationale for not filling the two weeks vacant by not playing the European games is sensible.
However, the logic for the points distribution for Covid cancelled games eludes me.
He states that there is no blame apportioned for a team which causes the cancellation, but PRL goes on to give two points for that team and four for the "innocent" team. To my mind, that apportions blame.
Or am I missing something?
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1537

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

22 Jan 2021 19:54 pm:

TheOptimistSenior wrote:The rationale for not filling the two weeks vacant by not playing the European games is sensible.
However, the logic for the points distribution for Covid cancelled games eludes me.
He states that there is no blame apportioned for a team which causes the cancellation, but PRL goes on to give two points for that team and four for the "innocent" team. To my mind, that apportions blame.
Or am I missing something?


Look, it's quite simple. If through no fault of the club's they cannot play the fixture, they can't get 5 points and as such using the baker/stumpit method they are awarded 2 points as it's the club's fault they can't get 5 points. The club who can't get 5 points who can play are awarded 4 points, as they were able to play, but couldn't and as such they should be penalised by 1 point.
Hero in the making
Posts: 666

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

22 Jan 2021 20:08 pm:

Great stuff Tigerchef, that explains it!
How could I be so stupid?
(That is a rhetorical question and requires no answer).
P.S. Great that you're volunteering for the vaccination programme, well done. I've been doing the same at Cinderford, really enjoying it. Incredibly well organised and a testament to the quality of the team who set this up.
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2405

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

22 Jan 2021 20:35 pm:

Now that the rationale been explained it kind of makes sense to me. As stated no club wants to contract Covid.
I’ve wondered for a while if it be as big as source of contention on this forum if Bath in 12th place.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 6385
Location: Longlevens

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

22 Jan 2021 22:03 pm:

tigerchef wrote:
TheOptimistSenior wrote:The rationale for not filling the two weeks vacant by not playing the European games is sensible.
However, the logic for the points distribution for Covid cancelled games eludes me.
He states that there is no blame apportioned for a team which causes the cancellation, but PRL goes on to give two points for that team and four for the "innocent" team. To my mind, that apportions blame.
Or am I missing something?


Look, it's quite simple. If through no fault of the club's they cannot play the fixture, they can't get 5 points and as such using the baker/stumpit method they are awarded 2 points as it's the club's fault they can't get 5 points. The club who can't get 5 points who can play are awarded 4 points, as they were able to play, but couldn't and as such they should be penalised by 1 point.


I disagree: The average points over the last few Seasons per game is 4-0. As a draw is unfair to the " Innocent " Team they must get 4 as a TBP isn't a cert. However for the " Guilty " to, in effect, get both a LBP and a TBP is a nonsense, as it's rare. 4-0 should be a C-19 outcome.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1537

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

23 Jan 2021 11:40 am:

TheOptimistSenior wrote:Great stuff Tigerchef, that explains it!
How could I be so stupid?
(That is a rhetorical question and requires no answer).
P.S. Great that you're volunteering for the vaccination programme, well done. I've been doing the same at Cinderford, really enjoying it. Incredibly well organised and a testament to the quality of the team who set this up.


Glad that I could explain it so simply! It's a gift I have...

Warning thread drift.

Great to hear of you volunteering at a Vaccine centre in Cinderford as well, excellent work! Hope you were offered the dregs of one of the vials? I have now finished at Ashton Gate and I totally agree, it is so well run. Now looking for my next gig, as RE:ACT have been pulled off task in Bristol to support other areas in the South West.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1537

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

23 Jan 2021 11:41 am:

DT, I in no way agree with the rationale behind it.
Hero in the making
Posts: 666

Re: Interesting statement from Sale's owner on Covid points

23 Jan 2021 12:03 pm:

Not1eyed wrote:Now that the rationale been explained it kind of makes sense to me. As stated no club wants to contract Covid.
I’ve wondered for a while if it be as big as source of contention on this forum if Bath in 12th place.


Not1eyed, I was not arguing that the award of points for covid affected games was wrong.
I was pointing out the illogicality of the rationale, as written by Sale's owner, when saying that there was no intention of apportioning blame, but then saying that the team responsible for cancelling the fixture should be "penalised" by having 2 points rather than four.

Part of the quote from Simon Orange:

It has been agreed to award 2 points and 4 points for non-contested Premiership games due to Covid (2 points to the squad unable to make the fixture due to Covid and 4 points to the other team).

It was decided that we would not assign blame to clubs for contracting Covid. Every club is taking the utmost safety precautions to prevent Covid infection, but the fact is, Covid is a transmittable disease that is infecting many people on a global scale. Anyone who comments about ‘playing the Covid card’ is, at best, talking nonsense and at worst being incredibly insensitive to the many thousands of people who have suffered and died because of this virus.

In the decision to assign no blame, PRL decided that the club who can’t fulfil their fixture is awarded 2 points. This doesn’t penalise the club as much as awarding zero points but, all the same they are disadvantaged by losing the chance of winning the game and earning either 4 or 5 league points. The club who could still fulfil the fixture is prevented from being able to achieve 5 points but they do still get a guaranteed 4 points so have had an acceptable outcome...

My underlining points out the contradiction, I think.

Tigerchef, yes had some "dregs"!!
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.

Return to Gloucester Rugby