England 6N squad

Hall of Famer

Re: England 6N squad

22 Jan 2021 20:12 pm:

steckers wrote:Even with Jonny May and LRZ away, I'm not sure that Thorley gets a start. Been on terrible form of late - against Quins he looked a hundred miles from the player of previous seasons.

Have any of our wingers shown any great form? Our back play hasn't been particularly inspiring this season so far this season so it's hard for Thorley to have shown much.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

22 Jan 2021 21:00 pm:

Allez Glaws wrote:
Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Whilst I agree it will be good to have Thorley available to us I am sure the players called up to the shadow squad don't think it's a nonsense.

My guess is they will be delighted to know they are EJ thoughts and have the potential opportunity to show what they can do.

I'm sure they don't. A few injuries away from a big payday.

Or “I’m sure they don’t, they will be thrilled that they are one step closer to their boyhood dreams.”

A horribly cynical take.
Formerly Sky blue
Hall of Famer

22 Jan 2021 22:23 pm:

Phil W wrote:
steckers wrote:Even with Jonny May and LRZ away, I'm not sure that Thorley gets a start. Been on terrible form of late - against Quins he looked a hundred miles from the player of previous seasons.

I think Thorley starts as long as he's fit. Best thing he can do is get his head down with us and find some form, without making excuses for him he's been training with England then back to Gloucester, it can't be easy for continuity.

Agree. He’s a quality player, one of my favourites to watch. He isn’t international class under the high ball, but speed, strength and commitment he is top rate. He needs to get a bit more ball in hand, and get his confidence up. He’s rarely great off the bench, I think he tries to do too much. A dominant team performance that creates space for our wingers and he will thrive.
Hall of Famer

22 Jan 2021 23:19 pm:

Might give Thorley a good chance to get back into his stride with LRZ and May out of the picture. Also with Harris away with Scotland it’s be perfect timing for our new Georgian 13.

Back three of Thorley, Carreras and Woodward/Moyle looks interesting. Let’s just hope they get some decent ball.

22 Jan 2021 23:28 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:

Have any of our wingers shown any great form? Our back play hasn't been particularly inspiring this season so far this season so it's hard for Thorley to have shown much.

Our new game-plan seems to ignore the backs, which is a nonsense.

1. Kicks out of hand need to be to empty spaces: They're not, so until the kickers can nail it, forget it, unless it's a Garryowen, which may give us a chance to compete.

2. Box kicks, from a breakdown, need to be quick & perfect. They're not due to: i. We don't defend our breakdown but allow them to be disrupted, so too slow. ii: None of our SH's, inc WH, have ever nailed the accuracy & iii: We telegraph them too often, see i.

3. Box kicks from a scrum: See 2 above.

4. Rugby is about avoiding tackles, not looking for them. ( Thorley seems to have reverted to his old ways ).Our best plays since re-start and before, came from quick ball, offloads & looking for space, not contact. I get the fact that we need to sort out the forwards, but not at the expense of ignoring the backs. Currently, we might as well let JM & L R-Z, two of the fastest wingers in the world, stay at home & stick 2 forwards at 11 & 14. They are our best " weapons ", so use them. Alex King needs to step up and intervene.

5. Our restarts are frankly pathetic. The distance kicked should be such, that we have a chance to compete / disrupt / put off the opposition, not give them free ball to run straight back at us.

6. Rucks: Theirs? Disrupt. Ours? Defend. We don't do either.

7. Breakaways? Quick reaction support is needed. We continually fail at that.

8. Consultancy Fee? Free of charge. :D
aka John Neary
Turns out for the A team

23 Jan 2021 09:30 am:

Agree Die Trying, especially there is only rare support for a player who makes a break, we seem to stand and admire the move. Only thing I do not agree with is no consultancy charge☺
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby