Glaws v Saints

Hall of Famer

Re: Glaws v Saints

29 Jan 2021 17:09 pm:

Because in my opinion Northampton are one of the bottom clubs (on form this season) and we are at home. I can understand the results for the past 3 games as they were much better sides.

For me, London Irish and Bath whilst inconsistent, have looked better than Northampton.

This is a must-win.
Hall of Famer

29 Jan 2021 17:29 pm:

If there is no relegation there is nothing to worry about bar pride. I am confident that we have the beating of Worcester, LI and maybe a few sneaky others anyway. No gloom needed IMHO and I'm not even a Happy Clappy. Sticking with my 9th place finish. ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
On the board

29 Jan 2021 17:38 pm:

Apart from the lack of travel what advantage do you really have right now being at home? Newcastle and Worcester might have a slight edge having an artificial pitch which might bounce differently but for us, I really don't think playing home or away makes the slightest difference at the moment.
Hall of Famer

29 Jan 2021 17:45 pm:

If/when you play/ed rugby Ben would you have preferred playing home or away ?? Relaxation-wise and surroundings-wise ?? Having some familiar faces on the touch line and in the stand ?? Travelling slightly later ??

Playing on your home bit of turf/plastic and knowing the odd-bounces, wind direction and other vagaries will always be advantageous. And statistics back up same if looked at across the whole League.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

29 Jan 2021 17:50 pm:

When they have announced that there is no relegation, I will chill out - but until then it's squeaky bum time.
On the board

29 Jan 2021 18:14 pm:

You make a fair point Mute, the level of any sport I have played it's good to play at home. I have certainly played cricket on some VERY unique pitches! I was going along the line of 50-50 decisions or a crowd putting players off. I remember well a previous Northampton game where the crowd very effectively got under Biggar's skin and he had an absolute mare! I did mention the travelling (or lack of) in my post as an advantage but compared to pre-covid I don't think home advantage is as effective. I'm sure I've seen stats with empty and full stadiums to say the number of away wins has increased but they may be a bit skewed due to the lottery of team selection during rugby restart thanks to the number of games crammed in. I don't see Saturday as more of a must win game because we are playing at home, if that makes sense?
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby