Sanction stupidity?

Hall of Famer

Sanction stupidity?

23 Jan 2021 07:32 am:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/pro-d2/2 ... vYGeB1odL8

This rugby player got so excited when his team won that he lifted the ref in the air. Five weeks suspension. I can just about understand the red card - he has touched the ref - but when you compare his actions to those of players who have made dangerous contact with the head of another player, it makes no sense to me.
Hall of Famer

Re: Sanction stupidity?

23 Jan 2021 09:01 am:

I can see both sides a red and the player’s apology would probably have been enough. But on the other hand maybe the Union wanted to set the precedent immediately that zero intentional contract with the ref is acceptable.
On the board

23 Jan 2021 09:37 am:

Utterly ridiculous. Red card and a severe warning surely would have been sufficient. The guy was over-excited. Where is the empathy and understanding?
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 09:56 am:

He may have been having fun but you can’t pick up a referee, personally think it’s right to ban him.

The red is meaningless as was at the end of the game.
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 10:11 am:

Perhaps it wasn’t the picking up, but the putting down when he dunked Refs head in a bucket of antibacterial liquid.
Vice-Captain

Re: Sanction stupidity?Aw

23 Jan 2021 10:28 am:

When I were a lad watching the 6 nations, decisions by the ref were simply accepted and players would return to their line without question. The ref is in charge on the pitch! Respect was evident.

Slowly slowly, the respect shown to the ref has been reduced, think of how Dawson and Dalygo would constantly challenge and talk to the refs. Now we’ve got ex team mates reffing and playing the same game, with swearing, and in this case, players picking refs up like rag dolls!

There is a destination for this, in terms of ref respect, and respect in general.

I personally feel that it was very funny! What a lad! But, in terms of the general ethos of the rugby ref to rugby player relationship, it’s very damaging to go unpunished! Whilst I’d spilt my beer out if someone debagged Wayne Barns as he awards us a penalty try to win a game, it’s just not cricket is it!

So officially, it is the right decision to ban him.

We wouldn’t want to get to the point where an entire team surrounds the ref when he doesn’t award a penalty when one of our team has taken a tumble and is writhing around on the floor in ‘agony’!
Last edited by Pieman on 23 Jan 2021 14:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 10:46 am:

Been thinking about this a fair, so will throw my two pence in:

1) Zero tolerance to purposeful contact with the referee unless it's mutual. If I was out and a random person randomly picked me up (at this point in time they'd have to be an Incredible Hulk like figure) I'd not be happy

2) a lot of people have been concerned with the "footballification" of rugby, in of the respect between player and referee seems to be eroding, I have seen it in the Premiership and it's becoming an increasing issue.

3) a follow on from points 1 & 2 there was no choice, the citing had to happen because unlawful contact with referee and there needed to be action to rebuild that respect between player and referee.

Personally I believe the player wasn't showing disrespect, it was to be a light hearted moment and it was just silliness, but citing officers etc need to look from micro to macro and see where their could be issue should it go unpunished.
Enter something positive here.
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 11:13 am:

The level of the match - high and on TV - didn't help and examples do need making. I would hope that empathy between players and match officials in the community game could continue. Think of some great policing examples v some very small-minded petty officialdom.

I have been kissed going through the tunnel ! Sadly at the top level match officials no longer participate. Sign of the times.......
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 11:20 am:

MrGlawsRocker wrote:Been thinking about this a fair, so will throw my two pence in:

1) Zero tolerance to purposeful contact with the referee unless it's mutual. If I was out and a random person randomly picked me up (at this point in time they'd have to be an Incredible Hulk like figure) I'd not be happy

2) a lot of people have been concerned with the "footballification" of rugby, in of the respect between player and referee seems to be eroding, I have seen it in the Premiership and it's becoming an increasing issue.

3) a follow on from points 1 & 2 there was no choice, the citing had to happen because unlawful contact with referee and there needed to be action to rebuild that respect between player and referee.

Personally I believe the player wasn't showing disrespect, it was to be a light hearted moment and it was just silliness, but citing officers etc need to look from micro to macro and see where their could be issue should it go unpunished.

He may not have been intentionally showing disrespect but his actions were certainly disrespectful of the referee. For a grown man, who is meant to be the figure of authority, it's rather demeaning to be hoisted in the air in the manner he was.

Is the ban excessive? Possibly, but it sends out a firm message that his behaviour was unacceptable and he or anyone else won't be doing it again.
Keyser Sose

Return to Gloucester Rugby