Glaws V La Rochelle OGT

First team regular

Re: Glaws V La Rochelle OGT

03 Apr 2021 19:35 pm:

Players playing with total commitment goes a long way in my book. Pride in my team is everything win or loose. Great endeavour shown so no complaints there. Also no refereeing controversies to moan at. So it comes down to which was the better team on the day and again no complaints. We have some very solid "core" players in my opinion - Slater, Harris, Val, Atkinson and when they go well we look robust. Special mention to Balmain who I think is our most consistent rock - under the radar but 100% granite.
glass half full ... not drinking fast enough
Vice-Captain

04 Apr 2021 11:07 am:

CMGC wrote:Not sure you are right Staggy. Glos started with 10 EQP ( Akers, Alemanno, Reid, Carreras, Harris non EQP) . LR started with 4 French

My non English were Craig, Alemmano, Socino, Ackermann, Reid, Heinz, Chapman, Harris, Carreras and LRZ if he had started. Probably should have added VRR to that. I was only pointing out that we had a large number of non English players in the 23. I fully accept that Chapman is local, Heinz and VRR are naturalised, etc but the point was aimed at the people saying how many non French were in the LR 23. Its not as clear cut as all that.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 11:48 am:

What goes around comes around. Not that long ago we were a hot-bed of Bokkers with Afrikaans being used at training !!

Under GS a new mainly EQP policy being forged. Happily.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Vice-Captain

04 Apr 2021 11:58 am:

For me, one of the big differences on Friday was Gourdon, the LaR openside. He was very much a 7 in the style of our own Ian Smith a few years ago - a link between forwards and backs.
The nearest we had to him is Reid....who we lost through injury. As good as Luds is (no one can deny his exceptional tackle rate, and consistent line-out work), he isn't a linking 7. Gourdon caught they eye more and more as the game progressed, making breaks and providing the bridge.
Last edited by westglos on 04 Apr 2021 14:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 12:21 pm:

Gourdon was a worthy MotM.
Hero in the making

04 Apr 2021 13:23 pm:

Agree with comments about Gourdan & this highlights the back row problems that we have in that for me Ackerman is a 6, Polledri is a 6, Reid is a 7, Ludlow not a traditional ball winning 7 & we don't have a big strong brute of an 8 (Morgan just isn't consistent or available enough).
The balance therefore doesn't feel right so unless we have youngsters coming through quickly I think we do need a recruit or 2.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 13:29 pm:

Polledri was definitely playing his best rugby at 8. He also prefers playing at 8.
Leg-end

04 Apr 2021 13:51 pm:

I have thought, for a little while, that we could really do with some South seas flair and power. All the successful teams this weekend have a bit of Fijian or Samoan magic. Centre, back row or loosehead, perhaps.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 14:10 pm:

Agreed which also I think shows how good Ackermann has been as our third choice 8.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 14:59 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote: Under GS a new mainly EQP policy being forged. Happily.

Before we claim any kind of morale high ground - Gloucester cannot afford any 'world superstars' so GS/AB may have very little choice when it comes to recruitment strategy.

There is no way Gloucester are spending up to the cap.

But let's remember we have recently signed 3 Argentinians, 1 Georgian and 1 Scotsman.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby