Glaws V La Rochelle OGT

Hall of Famer

Re: Glaws V La Rochelle OGT

04 Apr 2021 15:12 pm:

steckers wrote:
Gloucester Mute wrote: Under GS a new mainly EQP policy being forged. Happily.

Before we claim any kind of morale high ground - Gloucester cannot afford any 'world superstars' so GS/AB may have very little choice when it comes to recruitment strategy.

There is no way Gloucester are spending up to the cap.

But let's remember we have recently signed 3 Argentinians, 1 Georgian and 1 Scotsman.

2 Scotsman I think...Hastings and Davidson?
On the board

04 Apr 2021 15:28 pm:

Remember cap for 20/21 is £6,400,000 with Home Grown Player Credits of up to £600,000 that is one of the reasons why we are keen to keep players from our academy
Next year it will be £5,000,000. I think then maybe you can only have one excluded player- not sure?
This has already gone down from the 19/20 cap- teams could re-sign their players on new contracts with only part of their salary counting to the cap. Gloucester signed some players on new contracts but not all of them as this coincided with GS appointment and I assume they wanted to wait for him to be able to sign players that he wanted. So it is not quite so simple to say that they are not paying up to the cap if you compare with other teams as these may well be paying their players more but it is not all counting to the cap!
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 16:44 pm:

ladypochita wrote:Remember cap for 20/21 is £6,400,000 with Home Grown Player Credits of up to £600,000 that is one of the reasons why we are keen to keep players from our academy
Next year it will be £5,000,000. I think then maybe you can only have one excluded player- not sure?
This has already gone down from the 19/20 cap- teams could re-sign their players on new contracts with only part of their salary counting to the cap. Gloucester signed some players on new contracts but not all of them as this coincided with GS appointment and I assume they wanted to wait for him to be able to sign players that he wanted. So it is not quite so simple to say that they are not paying up to the cap if you compare with other teams as these may well be paying their players more but it is not all counting to the cap!

I accept that - very true. And I wasn't criticising the club. But when you look at the players who've left over last 12 months, you will see the massive savings the club have made. Plus the 25% pay cut still in force I believe.

The club are financially vulnerable so it's all understandable. Plus they have a great academy so it's time it was used more.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 17:23 pm:

Belated happy Easter everyone.

The game was there to be won and again we will look back and realise it.

Taking nothing away from a very spirited performance against a very good French side; but we are still making far too many errors. A lot of them are unforced and when we have possession .

Chris Harris was brilliant yesterday. Barton was very cool. The mistakes he makes are vast learning curves; but the deja - vous kicking to corner is perhaps becoming a bit of a signature. Not in a bad way; in that he picks himself back up and cooly attempts it again and get's it right. His kicking for points % is quite brilliant.

For me Chapman must start going forward. We aren't getting relegated and the more match time he can get ( the same with Varney ) the better.

Is Ben Morgan going to be retained ?. He's been a great servant to Gloucester Rugby but I do wonder if he will get back into the side when Jake is fit. Perhaps he will be one of those who stays around the club in some capacity . I know he has business interest locally and could perhaps work with Hartpury for a few seasons as a player forwards coach alongside Pasty ? . He has a lot to still give the club directly or indirectly; but the question is how ?.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 22:03 pm:

What coaching levels has BM achieved ??

How well is his 5 yr old business doing ??

Why on earth would he want to be a forward's coach @ Hartpury ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 06:15 am:

"The game was there to be won and again we will look back and realise it.”

Well, you may realise it, but I certainly don’t. I can’t think of any time during this game when we looked as if we might win. We were outclassed by a better team. Some of our back play was laboured, which didn’t help, but even had it been smoother, I don’t think we would have done other than close the gap. This is not to take anything away from the team, who raised their game enormously, and deserve great credit. The form book was correct - second in the Top 14 plays second from bottom in the Premiership.
Senior squad member

05 Apr 2021 06:38 am:

I’d agree Plod, we got fairly beaten by a good side. It was a good performance but we aren’t at that level at the moment. The biggest difference was the power game on open play, still missing a heavy carrier in the back row to share the work with Ackerman.
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 09:00 am:

UtilityBack wrote:I’d agree Plod, we got fairly beaten by a good side. It was a good performance but we aren’t at that level at the moment. The biggest difference was the power game on open play, still missing a heavy carrier in the back row to share the work with Ackerman.

+1 - the best team won but there was lots to be proud of in the performance. Gloucester are going in the right direction - it will take a while but I'm confident things will improve. Its very positive that we can be competitive with these teams.
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 09:13 am:

+2

Nothing to be ashamed of at all and we competed throughout. We were beaten by a superior side. No shame at all BUT the game was never really "there to be won". Realism needed RTS2.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Dude

05 Apr 2021 11:03 am:

I agree. I also think the result, and our performance, can be viewed with far more perspective after the weekend. Only Exeter were able to deal with the French. Munster beaten at home, Bristol beaten, Wasps beaten, Edinburgh slaughtered. I suspect Leinster would have won but I also suspect they would beat most international sides.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby