Glaws V La Rochelle OGT

Hall of Famer

Re: Glaws V La Rochelle OGT

05 Apr 2021 18:21 pm:

I agree that the best team won ... but in reality the game was there to be won.

Both May and Clifford had gilt edged opportunities to score...but fluffed their lines somewhat. There was also a period at about 60 minutes where LR looked genuinely rattled.

I don’t think RTS is saying we should have won (IMO we definitely shouldn’t have, having been bashed about for most of the game) but in reality we could have won it.

What I love about rugby is that the team that wins isn’t always the “best” (whatever that means)...and I guarantee that George and Co. won’t be sitting there tomorrow slapping each other’s backs saying “wasn’t that a spirited effort - well done chaps”. I imagine that they’ll be saying “well done for staying in the fight, and if we’d been more accurate here, here and here...what might have been.”
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 18:36 pm:

If May had caught that crossfield kick - there was still an awful lot to do.
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 18:41 pm:

Plus a little unfair to imply it was May's fault or fluff. What about the kicker ??

Who on earth is Clifford ?? Whoever, welcome to CG. ;) And don't fluff again....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 21:03 pm:

Clifford - senior moment - although not senior so no excuse. Mea Culpa. In my defence, Covid Lockdown has seen a documented deterioration in all of our memories (he says, clutching at straws!)

Meant Jack Clement of course... doh.

Not blaming JM (who would have scored IMO) or JC. Just making a point that I don’t think it’s unrealistic for RTS2 to say that the game could have been won.

We weren’t the side that deserved to win, we weren’t the better side, but then being the team that is both of these doesn’t always guarantee the win.

Mute, the kick was almost inch perfect and May being the pro that he is will be blaming himself. However, I will take your winkey faced admonishment on the chin, admit that fluffing was not an apt description (Google certainly suggests so), reassure you that I I don’t plan to fluff in future (I look forward to ‘fluffing’ being saved on your search history) and will clarify that I’ve never been to the Republic of the Congo (so am confused by your welcome?)

Ps - careful with the use of extra question marks. The pesky grammar POPO will be pointing out your fluffed punctuation (not the google definition) and how two question marks cancel out resulting in a sentence with no end... is just plain bad English... or suggests you’re questioning whether your question is actually a question... .... ;) ..... !?(
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 09:00 am:

La Rochelle are a very good side and were the better team, but their squad would have cost a fortune whereas we fielded a rookie halfback pairing who will only improve with time. LRZ was unfortunately not available and could have been the difference. Who knows.
But we appear to be improving which is the most heartening thing to take from Friday.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 09:22 am:

One thing for certain about ShedWeb we can always find an excuse!
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 09:38 am:

Asgard wrote:One thing for certain about ShedWeb we can always find an excuse!

Something to be said for that Asgard, we are ‘King’ makers’ as anyone above ordinary is made out to be ‘special’ I just couldn’t see us progressing to another level under Ackermann, with Skivington I do. Our pack wasn’t beaten up by LaRochelle and our starting front row won the scrummaging rights. Add a couple of players in the right places and we will get even better. I don’t accept losing as much as you do, it ruins my weekend but I see us being very competitive next season, it’s not just ‘jam tomorrow’
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby