European Saturday

Hall of Famer

Re: European Saturday

08 Apr 2021 14:27 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:By the Ref / TMO at the time - yes, worthy of a review.

+1 - and maybe the TMO did so and decided to take it no further as the referee wasn't ever that bothered.

I do think, and repeat, that we (the basically ignorant) viewers need to trust (the experienced and essentially professional) match officials rather than wanting everything forensically checked at the time. And not mention words like "assault" in such a throwaway manner.

Whatever one's faith....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hero in the making

08 Apr 2021 14:37 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Maybe these people responsible are more knowledgeable and experienced than the amateur, myopic, armchair-residing keyboard warriors ?? :roll: :roll:

On the basis that there have been differing opinions from SW posters on this incident surely even you can appreciate that it maybe isn't as clear-cut a redder than red assault incident ??

Totally unsure why you have raised my faith - something that has zero to do with you.

GM, you exhibit pure hypocrisy in some of your posts. In your first sentence above, you berate "amatuer, myopic, armchair residing keyboard warriors". Are these the same people as the one I quote below?

"Alyson Pollock is a pillock. Regurgitated unsubstantiated clap-trap and all because her son had an unfortunate rugby injury so she blamed the whole sport and has been attempting to ban rugby across the board. Complete abuse of her academic position. Her employer should be taken to task for allowing her to misuse her position with personal vendettas."

In case you have forgotten, you wrote this in September 2017, about Prof. Allyson Pollock (who is medically qualified, and then some - please take note KPB), which would appear to indicate that your are also highly medically qualified, and, in addition, think nothing of treating her with absolute contempt (as others did at the time) in a very insulting fashion.

All posters have the right to express their opinions in a cogent, rational and pleasant way and you do not have the right to insult them - disagree, yes, of course, but not be abusive.
In addition, I could see nothing in theoptimist's post earlier which suggested he was questioning your faith (I presume you assumed he meant religious faith). It was much more nuanced than that and I'm very surprised that you could not understand that. (cont.)
Last edited by TheOptimistSenior on 09 Apr 2021 07:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 14:37 pm:

Easy Mute...

You’ve nibbled at a line that wasn’t cast! Not interested in your faith - merely a comment about the evidence base (or lack of) for a belief in something, so apologies if you felt that there was a personal slight.

The bit more pertinent was regarding the inability of some to consider criticism of the principles, protocols and process around red cards and citings and a seemingly concrete belief that the experts always know best. It seems to me that you tend to defend match day officials, citing officers, panels, indeed you generally defend anyone you deem to be expert in the area (unless they are an expert in concussion and brain injury...) to the point that you seem to want to stymie any debate.

My only point (I repeat - only point) is that experts make mistakes and there isn’t any harm in those of us enjoying our armchairs providing comment or criticism on this. The cult of expert is strong...

You’re wholly entitled to your opinion (and your faith / lack of as the case may be.) I will of course file my opinion away in the ignorant and shortsighted file of my sofa... With the precedents set this year I still think it was a red though.

Irony...
Hero in the making

08 Apr 2021 14:39 pm:

Cont.
Finally, whilst on the subject of hypocrisy, you happily berate posters' bad grammar and spelling, so perhaps in future you would care to check your use of "who" and "whom" before posting. If you're confused, Google it.
Oh, and if I am guilty of errors in my grammar or spelling, please feel free to correct me!
Last edited by TheOptimistSenior on 09 Apr 2021 07:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 14:42 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:I do think, and repeat, that we (the basically ignorant) viewers need to trust (the experienced and essentially professional) match officials.

Mute, I imagine that we’d agree on many things. Like you, I’m all for trust - but part of trust is being open and honest about mistakes that are made. In addition, for me trust isn’t binary, it’s on a continuum... therefore it doesn’t challenge my paradigm too much to question the relevant authority.
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 14:43 pm:

A not so optimistic optimist sandwich! :lol:
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 15:02 pm:

Are you a tag team ?!?! ;) ;)

The Optimist - apology accepted. Too touchy of me reacting as I did. Sorry.

The Optimist Senior - 5 grammatical/spelling errors from you in above I believe. Are you keeping a history of my gibberish ?? How sad for you.....and incredibly selective. I am sure I have contradicted myself on SW over the years - aren't we all guilty of a little hypocrisy ??

Both - I assure you I am totally supportive of experts in the field of concussion in sport, head injuries and ways/means of lessening the risk in rugby. Always have been and always will be. Do note though that experts in the same field can occasionally differ in their views. For me Prof Pollock is at the absolute extreme end of injury avoidance and I disagree with her pleas for children to play non-contact rugby.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

10 Apr 2021 12:08 pm:

Falcons are upsetting M. Poite.
Turns out for the A team

10 Apr 2021 12:47 pm:

Falcons also upsetting Mr Healey. I think his Leicester glasses are on as he seems to see a forward pass in the Falcons try before half time. I don't see that no matter how many times Mr H says it was.....
First team regular

10 Apr 2021 13:28 pm:

Ridiculous scenario for Newcastle ... Carl Cooper been red-carded for two yellow cards ... not sure what the first was for but the second was for not being as strong as his counterpart in the scrum ... I like scrums but how can it right when it has become a weapon to reduce the number of players on the pitch ... yellow cards are for cynical play ... not smaller quad muscles
glass half full ... not drinking fast enough
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby