Loyalty gone, or just pro sport?

Hall of Famer

Loyalty gone, or just pro sport?

04 Apr 2021 09:43 am:

Saw a tweet from Mike Brown earlier in the week announcing his departure from Quins.

At the time, I thought it was odd, a one club man and arguably in the form of his life.

He's subsequently given the story to the Heil. (Not linking that rag, Google is your friend).
He was binned off in a pretty abrupt manner, spoke to Dean up north and got a gig with Falcons. Quins then did an about turn and offered him a deal, but he'd given Richards his word.

A loyal club servant shabbily treated or is it just "shrug" thats pro rugby?
Site Admin

Re: Loyalty gone, or just pro sport?

04 Apr 2021 09:48 am:

Bit of both I guess.. the idea of family and Wolfpack is all good, but you’re still always an asset, and like all things in life, there’s no divine right to anything in this world but the air you breathe.

Take your money while it’s on offer and try and give something back along the way, that’s modern professionalism as I see it..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
On the board

04 Apr 2021 09:54 am:

Here's the link https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9433037/Harlequins-Mike-Brown-opens-pain-brutally-axed-lifelong-club.html

I've just read the article &, despite him not being one of my favourite players, he's gone up in my estimation. Definitely worth a read
Regards
Michael
Dude

04 Apr 2021 10:57 am:

Shabbily treated. I have no problem with Gustard deciding he wasn’t part of his plans - tough decisions have to be made and different coaches have different ideas. There are ways of doing things though.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 11:15 am:

Whilst I feel for MB in many respects the brutal truth is: This is now an out-and out professional sport, Quins are a business not a charity and that extending the employment of long-time players (assets) needs to be viewed accordingly.

I also believe there will be a slightly differing version from Quins' who decided not to sell their version to the press.

And seeing the "brains trust" currently running Quins I am sure they would have been empathetic to MB's position. Or was the decision made under Gustard and that is why things blew up for him ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
On the board

04 Apr 2021 11:19 am:

It's Pro sport unfortunately.

I seem to remember when Darren Dawidiuk left it didn't reflect well on the club either. In his words he said he found out he was leaving at the end of season awards dinner.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 11:24 am:

This is part of pro sport no doubt and if Mike Brown was no longer part of the plans then so be it, but as Leb said there are ways of conducting yourself in a professional manner.
I’m sure all clubs have players with stories of how they’ve been mistreated.
Reason this is shocking is how good a servant Mike brown has been to Quins and, in my opinion, is still the best English 15 around. He’d still be playing 15 for England if I was coach
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 11:29 am:

Phil W wrote:It's Pro sport unfortunately.

I seem to remember when Darren Dawidiuk left it didn't reflect well on the club either. In his words he said he found out he was leaving at the end of season awards dinner.

Yep I think Stooke was treated pretty shoddily too, which would have been at a similar time. This sort of story is probably more common between clubs than you think. Hopefully the likes of Trinder and Sharples are treated more compassionately than Brown if they are leaving this summer as it has been suggested.
Dude

04 Apr 2021 11:36 am:

Mute the decision was made by Gustard. Quins have subsequently asked Brown to stay but he said he’d already committed to Newcastle and given his word to Dean Richards. I suspect there are still some for whom that’s important.

I also suspect Brown is being completely honest. I don’t like the concept of player power but it seems pretty obvious Gustard didn’t make a lot of friends.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 11:39 am:

ALL clubs should learn from the many badly-handled parting-company stories.

That said, and it may be harsh, professional rugby players - especially those like MB whom have been at the top for many years - earn some pretty good money via their employment and have many positives as well as salary. The reason for the high salaries is as an insurance against losing one's job.

MB cannot expect a job-for-life at 35. If he had offered coaching capabilities it might have helped.

Sad story BUT professional sport needs going into with eyes wide open.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby