Loyalty gone, or just pro sport?

Senior squad member

Re: Loyalty gone, or just pro sport?

04 Apr 2021 21:41 pm:

Lebowski wrote:Mute the decision was made by Gustard. Quins have subsequently asked Brown to stay but he said he’d already committed to Newcastle and given his word to Dean Richards. I suspect there are still some for whom that’s important.

I also suspect Brown is being completely honest. I don’t like the concept of player power but it seems pretty obvious Gustard didn’t make a lot of friends.

Interestingly though the article does say that when Gustard left, Brown approached Quins to see if this changed the situation but they said it didn’t. He then subsequently signed with Falcons and they then later offered him a new deal at much lower rate thank Falcons were offering.

So it’s not just Gustard but the club as well.

I think it’s admirable that he approached them after the change in management, still got knocked back, but continues to be a standout performer for them. Then stood by his principles and honoured his contract with Falcons.

I’ve always struggled with him as a player, as have many, but on this he seems like a top bloke and I think Falcons should be delighted to have him.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 22:08 pm:

I would love to hear Quins' version of events.....before coming to such a black and white conclusion.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Senior squad member

04 Apr 2021 22:50 pm:

MarcusRann wrote:How long before the Mike Brown Bar is renamed...

All Bar One?

Don’t ask for Newcastle Brown .
“Not much call for it down ‘ere”
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 12:06 pm:

It's a tough balance.

Loyalty goes both ways.
One could argue that in the past Quins overpaid their "loyal" club players
Chris Robshaw
Mike Brown
Danny Care
All apparently on £320,000 back in 2015 which would've put them as joint 4th highest paid players in the league.
Now without hearing how those negotiations went it's hard for me to say how loyal one player is v how loyal a club is.
Did those players use their agents and other clubs to bump up those prices? It certainly had an effect on the Quins squad.

(Reminds me of Manu and Leicester saga, everyone talked about loyalty during the covid talks at Tigers but Manu camp never acknowledge how they factitively tried to ship Manu to other clubs just to bump up his price for Tigers despite not really "earning" the previous contract.

Gustard was brutal with Brown by all accounts BUT did Quins need that when it came to the old guard? As I said it's hard to tell without the full picture.

Brown deserved better than a 4 minute talk yes, but without coming across as heartless should a club think of a players employment it's not like players agents think about clubs finances or squad balance either but that seems to be class as good on them they are trying to make the most money they can as it's a short career.

06 Apr 2021 11:10 am:

Clearly difficult for Brown as it would be for most in the same situation. Unfortunately, welcome to the real world where this happens, not just in sport.

Loyalty exists, whist you are being paid. Once the money stops so does the loyalty. That doesn't mean respect or affection for a club or business goes aswell though.

So, loyalty is conditional, both ways.

What I do find interesting is that once Gustard had left, Quins position, remained the same. Seems like it was / is a Club policy just handled badly by one person who was subsequently removed anyway.
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 11:21 am:

yourrealname wrote:
MarcusRann wrote:How long before the Mike Brown Bar is renamed...

All Bar One?

Apparently, inspired by the number of times during Brown’s England career that he ignored Jonny outside him, popped the ball under his arm and took the contact.
Formerly Sky blue

09 Apr 2021 21:52 pm:

Interesting interview with the Quins CEO on the Govt loans and Mike Brown. Official site and it's a lead on the News slide show at the top.: https://www.quins.co.uk/
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

11 Apr 2021 00:48 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:I would love to hear Quins' version of events.....before coming to such a black and white conclusion.

Interesting quotes from Quins CEO re. MB contract negotiations in the DT. Offered and turned down 3 offers from the club. Maybe not quite the tale MB told..... :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

11 Apr 2021 07:22 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:
Gloucester Mute wrote:I would love to hear Quins' version of events.....before coming to such a black and white conclusion.

Interesting quotes from Quins CEO re. MB contract negotiations in the DT. Offered and turned down 3 offers from the club. Maybe not quite the tale MB told..... :roll: :roll:

Could be an interesting fall out from this. Some of the players have backed Brown on social media before this announcement. Marler more vocally than others (no surprise there).
Dude

11 Apr 2021 07:48 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:

What Mike Brown said may or may not be true, but having watched the interview with the Quins CEO he doesn’t actually contradict anything Mike Brown said.

He says contract negotiations were started in Feb 2020 and at the end of the year a decision was made not to renew the contract. He then says the club subsequently changed it’s mind and made MB several contract offers. Nothing in that is different to what MB said and interestingly Dalrymple makes no mention of Newcastle. This is pertinent because Brown said all along that Quins changed their mind but also said he had by then committed to Newcastle and given his word to Dean Richards. There is nothing to suggest to me that’s not the case.
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby