Loyalty gone, or just pro sport?

Hall of Famer

Re: Loyalty gone, or just pro sport?

04 Apr 2021 11:43 am:

Lebowski wrote:Mute the decision was made by Gustard. Quins have subsequently asked Brown to stay but he said he’d already committed to Newcastle and given his word to Dean Richards. I suspect there are still some for whom that’s important.

I also suspect Brown is being completely honest. I don’t like the concept of player power but it seems pretty obvious Gustard didn’t make a lot of friends.

Thanks read it now so better informed BUT of course it is one side of the story only. Though I too believe a rather naive MB's version and can ascertain that Gustard was a very single-minded DoR whilst there. Dean Ryaneque !! :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Dude

04 Apr 2021 11:45 am:

As Not1eyed says, this won’t be the first time a player has been shabbily treated. For the record Gloucester have definitely been guilty in the past. I won’t mention a certain Welshman as it’s been done to death, but I will mention a youngster who (according to my sources, and I do accept there is always another side to every story) was very poorly treated. A second row who left for Bristol and is now at Worcester. And from what I heard he wasn’t the only one.

If the likes of Trinder and Sharples aren’t in George’s plans I hope we deal with them much better. I believe we will.
Vice-Captain

04 Apr 2021 12:43 pm:

It’s a tough one to deal with.

Careers, passion, honesty, trust, human beings talking to one another and money.

A heady mix.
Hero in the making

04 Apr 2021 13:16 pm:

I can understand MB's feelings but he surely should have thought that as he is 35 regardless of form he is in the twilight of his rugby career & that at some stage his time would be up.
That said a 4 minute conversation is shabby but is there a nice way to tell someone 'you are out of a job' -- don't think so!!
Overall not good PR for Quins but sure it will happen again unless clubs can find the cash for big HR departments which isn't going to happen.
MB is lucky in many ways that he has found another club willing to pay him what he believes is his market value & he has gone up in my estimation for having the courage to speak out.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 14:13 pm:

How long before the Mike Brown Bar is renamed...
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 14:56 pm:

Lebowski wrote:As Not1eyed says, this won’t be the first time a player has been shabbily treated. For the record Gloucester have definitely been guilty in the past. I won’t mention a certain Welshman as it’s been done to death, but I will mention a youngster who (according to my sources, and I do accept there is always another side to every story) was very poorly treated. A second row who left for Bristol and is now at Worcester. And from what I heard he wasn’t the only one.

If the likes of Trinder and Sharples aren’t in George’s plans I hope we deal with them much better. I believe we will.

Purdy is probably the best example. But I've been told of a fair few who were badly treated by Humphries.
Hero in the making

04 Apr 2021 19:54 pm:

Purdy is probably the best example. But I've been told of a fair few who were badly treated by Humphries.[/quote]

If we are honest did Purdy offer anything whilst he was at Glos to want to keep him?? IMHO 'no'. I know that a lot of ex Glos players are elsewhere but they were all released for a reason & I cannot see anyone who would have made a major difference if they had stayed - Afoa apart perhaps.

Players come & players go thats just pro rugby, we just need some cheap stardust if there is such a thing.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 20:02 pm:

Great to see Purdy doing well, but I’d have him behind 5 or 6 back three players in our current squad.
Formerly Sky blue
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 20:49 pm:

spanish exile wrote:Purdy is probably the best example. But I've been told of a fair few who were badly treated by Humphries.

If we are honest did Purdy offer anything whilst he was at Glos to want to keep him?? IMHO 'no'. I know that a lot of ex Glos players are elsewhere but they were all released for a reason & I cannot see anyone who would have made a major difference if they had stayed - Afoa apart perhaps.

Players come & players go thats just pro rugby, we just need some cheap stardust if there is such a thing.[/quote]

Spanish - I do not consider releasing a player to be treating them badly. He was continually told by DH that a new contract was coming, and then at the last minute, we was told it was not. Ok, his agent probably needed to step up - but I'm told that there were other players in the squad stepping up to DH to say - just be honest with him. It's not how you treat people. There is a long list of people who were treated poorly by DH - and I include some current coaches in that.
First team regular

04 Apr 2021 21:41 pm:

It can work the other way too ... were Glos too soft when it came to DC?
Last edited by Fargo on 04 Apr 2021 21:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glass half full ... not drinking fast enough
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby